Respecting People's Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have this with any group that use tools. Just talk to any mechanic about his SnapOn tool box he just dropped $15k on or a wood crafter that is in love with his Festool track saw. I think we've all seen people take great pictures with modest equipment and crappy ones with professional gear. It is all in how you use the tools.

Last edited:
This discussion is from 2015

anyone suggest me best camera for beginners.

Advice: Start your own thread. Include what you’re looking to photograph, what your budget is and what your requirements are. Also include your photography background if any.

Excellent thread, old or not because people don't change in a few years time. Word of advice to whomever this applies to, if you don't like someone's pic and you can't bring yourself to simply say, "nice pic", then just move on and be the better person for it. Time and experience will let them know later that their early pics needed a little help and there is no shortage of help for photographers on the web. Simply put, there's no need to rush to be that "douche critic". If someone asks for you to critique them on their pics/camera or equipment, whatever, that's another thing and they have no room to complain unless you do it without being respectful/in a belittling manner. Remember, there's always someone better than you with better equipment than you and what comes around goes around.

Last edited:
Giving someone advice is always going to be an issue. I have found in the past one persons idea of a budget is another’s (mine) wow that much can’t poss afford that... but at the end of the day for me photography is a hobby and therefore has to be fun . My upgrade policy is, when I can’t do what I want to do with the current ,item, and can’t find a workaround the limitation then it’s time to upgrade. Seen so many peeps who have the latest camera and are still in full auto... but again that is up to them
I tend to go manually as I grew up with zenith and Pentax k1000 and old habits die hard yes I know my current canon will bracket shots for me but I find that I have done it before remembering the camera will do it for me. Pushing my current canon to its limits, really would like to go med format but not sure if current style of photography (really big pics latest 2m by .5 m made up of 20 images) is just a fad.

When posting I try and rem my early days and some of the comments made about the quality of my kit which was/is the best I can afford. Most of my kit is used, but this is a hobby and the kit does not earn me a living, or is required for my safety.

Here is my view point on this. Not everyone can afford a high end camera like a Nikon, Cannon, Red or some other higher end camera. I think some people do come here ask for advice on what DSLR camera will be best for their budget income so they don't break the bank. I can understand why some people get irritated and up tight when someone ask what is a good DSLR camera for their budget level and someone replies with a Nikon D5, Canon EOS 5D cameras or etc.

Always good to do homework on how much of a DSLR camera and accessories can I afford in my set budget.

Sometimes people are trying to be sarcastic or funny, but it isn't always obvious.

And some people are just @$$h0les.

Sometimes people are trying to be sarcastic or funny, but it isn't always obvious.

And some people are just @$$h0les.

I agree, when you're talking to someone face to face you can see their expressions and gestures that accompany their words which help to identify whether they're serious or joking. You don't get that online. I've had to explain myself so much on a popular motorcycle web site it isn't funny. I feel like the king of misunderstood, ha! Of course a lot has to do with HOW you word things and being careful not to write a double intendre. I've trained myself to proof read once or twice to be sure I didn't make any mistakes.

When posting I try and rem my early days and some of the comments made about the quality of my kit which was/is the best I can afford. Most of my kit is used, but this is a hobby and the kit does not earn me a living, or is required for my safety.

I think there's a certain feedback loop people are looking for.

They spent a LOT of money in search of something and you're happy having spent a lot less money. The only conclusion must be that you shouldn't be happy, because you didn't spend as much money as them or didn't buy the things they did.

We all want to be the smartest idiot in the room and when someone walks in with the other brand, alarm bells go off and we say "Well one of these has to be better, and if he's not the idiot then I'm the idiot... so he's the idiot!"

On the internet you can find anything to justify your position on anything, from purple bananas to flying teapots are a gift from Zenu.

The use of the forum for advice is specific because YOU do NOT know everything and neither does anyone else.
BUT, everyone else may have a tiny piece of the data YOU need to complete a project, or solve a puzzle et-al.

The Ford v. Chevy type debates get old. They don't really add substance to an issue and when one person feeling all goody goody and smarterer than the rest of us little people has a tendency to want to play photo god and state that their religion of Nikon or Canon is the only true religion, things get ugly.

The camera is a black box with a hunking large piece of glass on the front.
Except perhaps with a Monday morning made Holga, they all do the same thing.

What people need to do is realize that not everyone sees your camera god the same way.
Its the FUNCTIONALITY AND THEORY that needs to be employed. Not "..my camera is bigger than your camera.." nonsense.

On the internet you can find anything to justify your position on anything, from purple bananas to flying teapots are a gift from Zenu.

The use of the forum for advice is specific because YOU do NOT know everything and neither does anyone else.
BUT, everyone else may have a tiny piece of the data YOU need to complete a project, or solve a puzzle et-al.

The Ford v. Chevy type debates get old. They don't really add substance to an issue and when one person feeling all goody goody and smarterer than the rest of us little people has a tendency to want to play photo god and state that their religion of Nikon or Canon is the only true religion, things get ugly.

The camera is a black box with a hunking large piece of glass on the front.
Except perhaps with a Monday morning made Holga, they all do the same thing.

What people need to do is realize that not everyone sees your camera god the same way.
Its the FUNCTIONALITY AND THEORY that needs to be employed. Not "..my camera is bigger than your camera.." nonsense.

Oh yeah?! Well, my dads camera is bigger than your dads! :boogie: ( does that about clarify it?)

The use of emojis can help but not always.
Ford or Chevy cameras? Not sure I'd want either one. Now, an IKEA camera, on the other hand . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back