jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rest area along an interstate.

IMG_0013HP5.JPG

Quick smoke on the edge of bench. Ha.
Curiously looking picture. Very soft, impressionistic look like shot with some soft filter of very strong action. Interestingly the contour of the shirt on the back of that man displays something, what in film photography would be called Mackie line. And there are other things.
How did you get it ?

Quick smoke on the edge of bench. Ha.
Curiously looking picture. Very soft, impressionistic look like shot with some soft filter of very strong action. Interestingly the contour of the shirt on the back of that man displays something, what in film photography would be called Mackie line. And there are other things.
How did you get it ?
The sabattier effect? The image was horrible because I was too far away and took it with an outdated Digital Point digital point shoot. I seen something in it so I got to work on it. Using Gimp, I converted it to black and white, removed the noise, and made a slight crop. I believe I straightened it a little as well. My last step I applied a 3200 ISO film plug in. However, between the crop and plug in, I used the technique in this link The Sabattier Effect - Digital Photography School
I did it in Gimp but used his guide to do it.

Interesting that you noticed that. I was after a Mackie line but did not know how to do it in GIMP, so I looked it up and it brought me to that link. I think it was I save for the photo, overall I was satisfied with the result considering what it looked like prior.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Interesting that you noticed that.
Well, I am a film photographer...:02.47-tranquillity:
If you interested in Sabatier effect check out works of Man Ray.
However Mackie line could be obtain chemically. Crawley FX1 formulation is using potassium iodide to get Mackie line without the need of partial solarisation. Your picture resembles more that, than full Sabatier effect.

Interesting that you noticed that.
Well, I am a film photographer...:02.47-tranquillity:
If you interested in Sabatier effect check out works of Man Ray.
However Mackie line could be obtain chemically. Crawley FX1 formulation is using potassium iodide to get Mackie line without the need of partial solarisation. Your picture resembles more that, than full Sabatier effect.

I have always been drawn to his body of work, many years of off & on study. I am really searching for something in this photography journey; a style, process, something is not clear. I am very uneasy with it all and had a huge resistance to post this photo. I think my journey shows in this one photo or an abstract I may post. I like to be decisive and I am literally fumbling along. I still may return to oils at some point but it is not in the cards currently but have also been exploring combining the two mediums.

Recent understanding... I actually prefer analog photography over digital. I guess looking back a year ago, I could have used that money towards analog equipment. Without researching, I ASSUMED film was dead because I was told that in camera store, that was misguided to sell me something. Terrible what salesman can do. I may end up selling my DSLR and just go mostly B & W analog, developing my own. Not sure how to do post work in the dark room but going to learn. I can develop and have some experience with it but basic as I only used to develop for reference snap shots. Good news is I can use most of my glass on a Nikon N75 I have recently refurbished so not a total loss if I decide to go that direction. Not sure if the big, new Sigma will work.

You say my photo resembles more than than the Sabatier effect. Can you elaborate? I am curious as it may help identify some stops along this journey. You could PM me if it is more comfortable for you. Thanks for your thoughtful consideration on my post, it means a lot coming from you.

I should add I am an artist that likes to apply paint to the point that it is considered a finished painting then remove layers. It used to drive my artist buddies insane.

Sorry, I mixed up something in own thoughts. The picture does not look like Sabatier effect. However it looks very dreamy.

Last edited:
There is couple of ways to post film photography. The simple: scan the negative and voila, it is there in internet format, however I wouldn't call that finished photograph. The strange: scan the neg and apply photoshop to it. Some call it hybrid workflow and the picture is finished. The risky: make your true photographic print in the darkroom and scan it. Maybe it will look good on the screen, (read this... Reproduction Hides A Multitude Of Sins ).

I didn't play for long time with Sabatier effect. Reason is very simple, not every paper responds well and Ilford RC papers are especially bad. The "rule" here is, that paper should be slow. But I have one totally accidental Sabatier effect made on film, it has completely natural, perfect Mackie line. I hope you won't mind me showing it in your thread.
sabatier.jpg

I didn't play for long time with Sabatier effect. Reason is very simple, not every paper responds well and Ilford RC papers are especially bad. The "rule" here is, that paper should be slow. But I have one totally accidental Sabatier effect made on film, it has completely natural, perfect Mackie line. I hope you won't mind me showing it in your thread.
View attachment 116190
That is neat. I ordered some developer and fixer, should be here next week. Still hunting for a reasonable priced scanner. I found my recipe book. My Kodalith 6 ASA film arrived yesterday, 5 rolls. Still can't locate my home made cartridge opener, probably will order one. It's slowly coming together. My K1000 patiently awaits.

Litho film. Seems like very good idea. How you gonna use it ?

View attachment 116190
That is neat. I ordered some developer and fixer, should be here next week. Still hunting for a reasonable priced scanner. I found my recipe book. My Kodalith 6 ASA film arrived yesterday, 5 rolls. Still can't locate my home made cartridge opener, probably will order one. It's slowly coming together. My K1000 patiently awaits.

We used to simply rip open the cassettes with our fingers and peel back the opening to expose the film. Typically, it is hard to lose one's fingers.

Litho film. Seems like very good idea. How you gonna use it ?

Well, I am going to use it in my Pentax K1000. @Derrel helped me figure out the settings... Dial in ASA 25, get my meter in the middle, then + 2 f-stops. Kodak D76 stock solution 68 degrees for 6 minutes will be my first roll and then go from there. I may try +1 f-stop on second roll depending on how I like the first set of exposures. I am open to suggestions for creative developing, just going to do basic on the first roll. One question for you though, I have well water, is there something I can put in it to keep the rinse free from spotting? Do I need it?

To open the cassette use beer bottle opener. Easier, than fingers...
6 min in stock D76 should be a good start. D76 should give the light film good continuous tone characteristics.
I would suggest you do some substantial bracketing on the first roll going +1, +2 and maybe -0.5 to test the possibilities. Let see the first roll and from there decide on exposure and dev time.
On the other hand I think I will order some sheet (4x5) ortho litho and try Sabatier effect under the enlarger in darkroom. The good thing about ortho film is, it could be developed under red safety light and it is easy to choose the good moment for pseudo solarisation.

Most reactions

Back