Restoring Photos

Easy_Target

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

I was in the basement and came across some family photo albums and decided to look through them. I found some that were of my grandparents when they were in their mid-30s (1940s-ish). I've started to scan them and digitize them as a surprise gift for my parents/aunts&uncles.

I came across one photo that's particularly problematic. It has some fire damage to the right side, but I can fix that in photoshop. What's more troublesome to me is the fact that it's actually THREE photos.

There's one photo that's stuck to the back of the first photo. Emulsion and paper is starting to separate in some parts. Then there's another photo on top of that one, except this one is mostly emulsion. The majority of the paper backing has worn off.

Is it possible to have the two on the back removed from the first and each other? Obviously without damaging any of the photos.

Print: Black and white
Emulsion type: Unknown
Paper manufacturer: Unknown
Paper type: Unknown

I had to underexpose a good amount because of the lighting in my room.

9ihg5h.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/9ihg5h/5

Place photo's in a warm water bath ... until they separate.

Do not force apart ... they will do that on their own.

I was considering the warm water bath, but I was reluctant because I don't know the stability of the photo & the emulsion and paper. I don't want to risk damaging irreplaceable memories more than I already am [by taking it out of storage and actually handling them].

If the emulsion got wet ... then dried in contact with the paper backing of the other print ... then the only way to do this is by softening the emulsion again by soaking it.

This advise was given to another Poster with the same problem.
For him, the prints separated in the bath with no damage to the prints.

You'll be in luck because of the age of the photos. The process of making the print involved exposure, developing, stopping, fixing, and then washing, all of which are liquid.

Use water at a bit above room temperature, and then hang to dry. Try not to touch the photo emulsion while it's still soft and fragile.

The first photo is still in good shape, but the other two are in poor shape. How would I treat those two? Particularly the one that's all the way on the top layer, which is all emulsion with only a little bit of paper left.

What should I use to back the one that's only emulsion? Is there anything I can do to reinforce the second one which still has emulsion and paper, but is separating?

good idea up there!

I remember ruining one of our family photo by forcing it to separate from one other old picture hehhe...

I don't forget my grandma's face. :)

Most reactions

Back