Result from DIY Beauty Dish ....

Yes, I think a white nylon diffuser "cap" might improve the evenness of the light. It's difficult to tell though, from the sample photos.

A good way to test a light modifier is to shoot it in a totally darkened room, aimed at a wall, and see how the light tends to be spread out by the modifier. Shoot from close,like 1 meter, then farther away, then about 3 meters distant, and see what the beam spread is actually like, if it is HOT in the center and weak at the edges, etc.

Thanks for waiting until NOW to tell me this Derrel. - Seriously, thanks, I just wished I'd have known a month or two ago.

Shoot through a white umbrella instead of bouncing light out of it.

what do you mean ? flash+beautydish+umbrella ? or just flash+umbrella ? if you mean flash+umbrella so there's no point i made the beauty dish that cost me about $1

I made one similar a while back, except instead of cd I just had cardboard with silver tape. I used a layer of shower curtain as my diffuser, sometimes 2 if I wanted a really soft light. Ive found cheap $5 shower curtain to be handy as an extra diffuser on everything, including softboxes.

I made one similar a while back, except instead of cd I just had cardboard with silver tape. I used a layer of shower curtain as my diffuser, sometimes 2 if I wanted a really soft light. Ive found cheap $5 shower curtain to be handy as an extra diffuser on everything, including softboxes.

when you mention shower now i remember something easy like doff shower cap

That would be easier than what i did lol, I have lots of string, lots of measuring, and lots of cutting. And i used a 140w bulb, not flash either, so youre way ahead of me. Think everything included cost me $14.

That would be easier than what i did lol, I have lots of string, lots of measuring, and lots of cutting. And i used a 140w bulb, not flash either, so youre way ahead of me. Think everything included cost me $14.

well i wanna make another one with tornado 40 watt = 240watt bulb about $9-10 i used before for my softbox but problem is the bulb is to big there is small bulb about 120watt but warm white not white

How about a sponge bob squarepants shower curtain, would this work?

j/k

That's a pretty inventive use of a shower curtain, but makes sense.

j/k

lol my wife has angrybird one .....btw this is my DIY soft box , from PVC,strip nylon and on it there are standard reflector bought from the store about $0,6 each with 23watt=100watt $4

$IMG00684-20130322-0300.jpg

What bowl did you both use?

vegetables plastic bowl $0,5 and the plastic is not OK for the food so i choose this because i'm not using for food and its VERRYYY CHEAAAP lol

j/k

Well I guess you could start getting some interesting spongebob images on your background lol.

$shower.jpg

Thats mine with the shower curtain peeled back. There was a cardboard cone that wrapped round it to make it bigger with a tin-foil interior at one point (I still had my tin-foil reflectors at this point as well), but thats long gone. Dosent look like much now, but my first 6 months of taking pictures was this light (minus beauty attachments), a 2ftx3ft tin foil on plywood reflector, and a 5mp olympus E-20.

Never used it much as a beauty dish though, could never get a result I liked. (Read into that, I didnt know how to use it).
$shower2.jpg

Just a thumbnail.

hmmm...can you try to put the diffuser deeper ,thats why i'm not using reflector but plastic bowl , its to small and not enough space to spread the light , look at mine you can see the different

Most reactions

Back