Retro bride/

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright here is your chance to get even. Let me tell you just a little about this shot. It is from the reenactment of a late 1800s quaker wedding held in my home town's park.

I went to the park with a retro camera to shoot a fair and this happened to be going on. At the time of the real wedding there would have been no flash, and of course my retro gear has no flash so the shots are pretty much what you would expect from that time.

Now I full expect the scene from airport. Line forms to the rear lol

Other shots from the wedding in the alternate retro gallery

bride1sm.jpg

Oh yeah it was a 6x7 roll film back on a camera I cobbled together one shot one image. Same is true of the shots in the alternate gallery one shot one print all shots were used.

Some of these are nit-picks, but they kind of add up for me.

It's a little blurry.
The background is tilted and distracting.
It looks like she might be looking at someone standing next to you (your left), and is leaning out of the frame, rather than in. With the tilted background, it gives the impression that the image will roll off to the left.
She has a really nice smile, but I don't care for the pose.
A little more contrast would be nice.

I like the lighting and she's a beautiful subject.

I actually tried but she went all grainy. What I should have done was to apply some grain with a canvas filter. The tilt by the way is the negative not straight on the flat bed. It is easy enough to fix that I honestly didn't notice it. See I'm prone to mistakes as well as the next man.

What really blows my cool was that it should have been full length but I hadn't shot this particular camera in a while and the view finder is 3x4 but the negative holder is 6x7 so I chopped off the feet. Even so it made a pretty good head shot.

Pretty smile, but I agree with the background. It hits her at mid-eye, and takes away from them. This could be fixed in photoshop by painting in a heavy guasian blur on the background, or in the future by applying a heavy in camera DOF.
I actually like the second one quite a bit. The texture looks nice on this photo, and minimizes the distractions of the background beam.

Thanks I see what you mean.
ill probably just blank out the background when I have it printed. I had thought to leave it since it was part of the feel of the place. Still have to give it some thought.

Oh yeah I should have added retro cameras usually have long depts of field. Early cameras had like f11 max apertures. The lens on this one is a little better and it had max 4.5 and was wide open because there was no light in the building except that coming through the doors.

Dof change in the camera would have been impossible since I had the mini depth already.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back