sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Osprey have returned to East Tennessee. Actually, they've been back for several weeks. The first sighting I heard about was March 1st or 2nd, but *I* had yet to see one until this weekend, when I decided to take a drive south to check on the nest I'd found last year so close to the road. Sure enough, Charlie (the male) had already returned, had a mate and they were busy rebuilding their nest!

I won't bore you with a lot of the pics; they're on my flickr if you're so inclined. But here's a few of my favorites:

1. Charlie and His Girl

Mar15_2414editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

2. Talons
I had to crop it like this because I didn't just "clip" his wings, I really missed about half of them. He came in unexpectedly and I was zoomed WAY too far out to get him all in the frame.

Mar15_2471editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

3. Building The Nest
Female Osprey returning with nest material

Mar15_2521editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

4. Gull Chase
I knew gulls were brash, but this one actually had the nerve to chase the Osprey around trying to take its fish. It didn't give up easily, either, but Charlie finally managed to land up in some trees and the gull decided to back off.

March15_2556editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are greatly appreciated!

Nice set indeed. Very kind of them to pose for you in #1. I'm digging on the composition in #2.

#4 is one of the moments that simply is cool to see and cooler-er to capture and share. Gracias!

Very good set, Sharon. Is the local raptor center going to have a "Sharon Monett" wing to display the exhibition of photography?

Exciting that they're back

A seagull with webbed feet chasing a Osprey with sharp talons, Dumb Dumb, Dumbdity Dumb Dumb. Nice set.

The first one looks a little soft to me. I like the rest, especially the gull being dumb and chasing the osprey. He's lucky he didn't get his face ripped off.

Wonderful! There are ospreys around here but I've never been close enough to get a decent shot.

Thanks, all! It was nice seeing them again; they are so entertaining to watch.

Very good set, Sharon. Is the local raptor center going to have a "Sharon Monett" wing to display the exhibition of photography?

Haha, yes, well, I'm working on that. :D

They'll likely be displayed in the same manner as the permit to destroy Arthur's house in Hitchhiker's Guide:

"But the plans were on display ..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

:lmao:

Very nice, what lens were you using? I really want to get a longer lens but don't know what to get.

I shoot birds primarily with a Sigma 150-500mm. But I'm eyeing that new Tamron 150-600 when the Nikon mount comes out.

The first one looks a little soft to me. I like the rest, especially the gull being dumb and chasing the osprey. He's lucky he didn't get his face ripped off.

Yep, the first one is definitely soft! That was shot "on the fly" as it were. As I coming driving up to the spot where the nest is, I could see they were both there. The male, Charlie, often takes off as soon as anyone shows up, so I figured I probably had just one shot at getting them both. Took this from the car, while it was still running, and hadn't really adjusted my settings good yet either. But it was my very FIRST Osprey shot of the year, and it was a good choice to grab it when I did because Charlie did in fact take flight before I could get parked and get out of the car, and they didn't "pose" together in the nest like that again while I was there.

I think that gull was actually very, very lucky that Charlie had a fist full of fish, else the chaser would have become the chased. :lol:

2&4 are just super!

P.S. I thought I was the only one nutty enough to read the Hitchhiker's Guide! Lee

Most reactions

Back