Revelation - Advice welcome

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It isn't very often during a live stage production that pose and facial expression come together with (almost) perfect lighting. I shot a dance show on Saturday in London and I'm working my way through the shots. I'm about a quarter of the way through so far and THIS one stopped me in my tracks.
I've made very few adjustments apart from deepening the blacks and then compensating in her hair with a little more exposure and highlights in LR. Then I took it to PS, increased the size of the background a little and erased some of the original background that had a blue tint. There remains a blue/purple tint around the edges of her hair from the stage lighting.

Did I overdo the hair correction?

Maybe a little more space on top for her to look into?

Can I improve this or should I leave it alone?

Lou.jpg

I'm not at a great monitor right now, but this looks very good to me. The crop works and the exposure seems right on.

This is as nice a shot as I've seen of your, Mark.
I would crop to 4 x 5 and move her a tiny bit more to the center but otherwise just beautiful.

upload_2016-11-25_9-37-24.png

I echo the above ... but I'd trim a bit off the top and bottom, but I like tight. Also the face is darker than the belly and I would lighten the face just a smidgen.

Love it, everything gorgeous.

This is as nice a shot as I've seen of your, Mark.
I would crop to 4 x 5 and move her a tiny bit more to the center but otherwise just beautiful.
View attachment 130813

Thanks Lew, I think you're right about the tweak. It will be done in the final image. :)

I echo the above ... but I'd trim a bit off the top and bottom, but I like tight. Also the face is darker than the belly and I would lighten the face just a smidgen.

Good point but I felt she needed some space to look into. I'll play with crops a bit and see but to my taste Lew has it right on at 4x5. On the facial light, I was working through 1400 photos with very varied stage lighting (varied from like this to bl**dy awful with stage smoke added into the bargain) so I missed that. I'll give it a try, just a smidgen. :)

Indeed! Nice lighting pattern for this pose. I LOVE the high main light!

Derrel, it was shot live on stage in London. I can claim no credit for the lighting pattern or the pose; I got VERY lucky is all. ;)

I got VERY lucky is all. ;)

Don't belittle your part in this; you got the shot when the existing light was just right and the pose not only looked great but was appropriate for the light. That's the essence of photography.

You did an outstanding job catching the perfect timing here, noway I would have been able to do that good of a job. Wonderful work!

Most reactions

Back