Reverse Bokehn - For lack of a better term

mikedadude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm new to "proper" photography.. I just picked up the camera yesterday. It's a canon 450d with an 18-55m lens. Figure this may be needed for my query.

I know how to make it so the item closer to the camera is in focus and the background is blurry, but how do you make the background in focus and the item closer to you out of focus?

Do I need to fiddle around with some sort of metering or anything? I've tried fiddling with the aperture/focus settings but the best I got was to having everything in focus or just the item closest to me, or both the item closest to me and the background out of focus.

I've been trying this mostly on manual, and auto-focus on the camera has been switched off.

If it's on manual focus this shouldn't be a problem. Just turn the focus ring until the foreground is out of focus and the background is in focus. How fat away is the thing you're trying to make OOF from you? You can put it on single point AF and just select the point in the background and that should work. Hope that helped.
tj

The thing that I tried making out of focus was around 40-50cm away, and the thing I wanted to focus on was around 15m away. There is no "single point AF", only "one shot AF" "AI FOCUS" and "AI SERVO".

Thanks for the help so far!

Read your manual.
Again.

You can select focus points on the 450D.

Most reactions

Back