What's new

Reverse Graduated Neutral Density.. In Action!!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got my reverse graduated neutral density in the mail today (0.6 RGND from Hi-Tech, 100mmx150mm), and decided to go shoot the sunset. It was raining as I arrived (the rainbow in the other thread), and rained as I left. Almost fell in a tide pool, gouged up my knee, but had fun and grabbed a few shots. The panorama is okay... not too pleased with it as it was a quick and dirty one. I will add that it is REALLY difficult to use the filter--not as cut and dry as I expected. It's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure. I think I also had a 0.6 GND soft from Lee on here as well. I used my new little-stopper, but wasn't too pleased with the images, as I was struggling with the RGND.


The Setting Sun by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Disappearance by f_one_eight, on Flickr


Panorama by f_one_eight, on Flickr



Cheers!
Jake
 
Last edited:
I like photos but I don't feel your work with logo is done. If you're satisfied then ok, this is jmho
 
Hi Jake! I would really like to talk to you about this type of photography. How did you get this outcome? The colors like that etc? Is it some sort of filter that brings this out? I also have a D7000, so thats step 1! xD

Thank you!
 
I like photos but I don't feel your work with logo is done. If you're satisfied then ok, this is jmho

I don't think it's quite done yet either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok been doing some research. So they are reverse graduated neutral density filters. I'll have a look to see if I can see some proper tutorials. They seem rather expensive but totally worth it. Any thing you would recommend reading or watching?

Many thanks.
 
I like the first one in particular, the colours and lighting on the rocks is nice.

That one is my favorite as well. It just all came together, and the cirrus clouds in the top left corner are beautiful, IMO.

Cheers!
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok been doing some research. So they are reverse graduated neutral density filters. I'll have a look to see if I can see some proper tutorials. They seem rather expensive but totally worth it. Any thing you would recommend reading or watching?

Many thanks.

Okay, so sit down and get ready for a long winded response :mrgreen:

I started landscape stuff about 2 or 3 months ago.. before I had done a bit here and there, but nothing too serious. I starting with my Sigma 17-50 @17mm, and really only shot HDR images. Why? Because the tonal range in sunsets and most landscapes is always too much for the sensor to handle. So HDR's worked well enough, but I just felt like they weren't punchy, they weren't perfect. My first step was to buy the Tokina 11-16mm. 17mm on a crop sensor just wasn't enough, and I've been blown away by the performance of the Tokina. Fast forward to a few weeks after that, and I started doing heavy research into plate filters / square filters. Cokin? Cokin P? Cokin Z? Lee? Singh-Ray? Hi-Tech? What to buy!? I did hours and hours of online research, got feedback from forum members, and eventually decided to pull the trigger on some Lee filters. Why? They are so expensive!! BUT, they last. I foresee having these filters until I die, unless for some reason I break or scratch them. Sure, $140 for a Big-Stopper seems outrageous, but over the course of 20+ years of shooting? It suddenly becomes less than $10 a year. And that's how I look at all camera purchases. It's an investment, not a expense. But I digress. I first got the 77mm Wide Angle adapter ring, the filter holder assembly (which I have setup to hold 3 filters), and a set of 3 graduated neutral density filters with soft edges (0.3 - 1 stop, 0.6 - 2 stops, 0.9 - 3 stops). I went with the soft edge as I figured they are more versatile and less specialized/easier to use than the hard edged ones (but a set of hard edged ones is next). The first time I used them I fell in love. Literally. They completely changed how I shot and looked at landscape scenes. Soon after I picked up a Big-Stopper (10 stop ND square filter), and again, fell in love. It's allowed for some, in my humble opinion, excellent shots that I would have never been able to capture before. This week I snagged a Little-Stopper (haven't had much time to use it), and the reverse GND. The reverse GND is by and far the hardest to use--the hard edged dark line (2 stops of light reduction) is really difficult to use as any foreground or such on the horizon line becomes rapidly darkened (see photo 1 on the right hand side near the bottom of the dark clouds). However, I honestly love these filters, and am SO glad I purchased them. Sure, there are cheaper versions and more expensive versions, but this system seemed right for me.

On a side note, I really like that I've taken on landscape photography. It's challenging, it's relaxing, and most of all it's rewarding. There's nothing better than spending 3 hours shooting a gorgeous sunset on the beach, with the only sound being nature and a few clicks from your camera. That in an of itself makes it all worth it.

Here's an example from one of my first shoots with the GND's, posted unedited--the top shot is with no filters, and the bottom has 2 I think (0.6 and 0.3?)





Also, here's one from last night's shoot without filters.

Without:


With:


I should add that I ALWAYS shoot in RAW... the filters do a great job, but they can only do so much. There's always a little tweaking that needs to be done to get it to where they are in the original post.

Cheers!
Jake
 
Thank you very much for your reply! I should really start looking at getting a more wide angle lens. The Tokina seems like a great one.

I'll read more into the filters also!

Appreciate your help!
 
Thank you very much for your reply! I should really start looking at getting a more wide angle lens. The Tokina seems like a great one.

I'll read more into the filters also!

Appreciate your help!

You're quite welcome. I found it difficult to find feedback and info on these types of filters, so feel free to ask away!

Cheers!
Jake
 
Okay, so sit down and get ready for a long winded response :mrgreen: I started landscape stuff about 2 or 3 months ago.. before I had done a bit here and there, but nothing too serious. I starting with my Sigma 17-50 @17mm, and really only shot HDR images. Why? Because the tonal range in sunsets and most landscapes is always too much for the sensor to handle. So HDR's worked well enough, but I just felt like they weren't punchy, they weren't perfect. My first step was to buy the Tokina 11-16mm. 17mm on a crop sensor just wasn't enough, and I've been blown away by the performance of the Tokina. Fast forward to a few weeks after that, and I started doing heavy research into plate filters / square filters. Cokin? Cokin P? Cokin Z? Lee? Singh-Ray? Hi-Tech? What to buy!? I did hours and hours of online research, got feedback from forum members, and eventually decided to pull the trigger on some Lee filters. Why? They are so expensive!! BUT, they last. I foresee having these filters until I die, unless for some reason I break or scratch them. Sure, $140 for a Big-Stopper seems outrageous, but over the course of 20+ years of shooting? It suddenly becomes less than $10 a year. And that's how I look at all camera purchases. It's an investment, not a expense. But I digress. I first got the 77mm Wide Angle adapter ring, the filter holder assembly (which I have setup to hold 3 filters), and a set of 3 graduated neutral density filters with soft edges (0.3 - 1 stop, 0.6 - 2 stops, 0.9 - 3 stops). I went with the soft edge as I figured they are more versatile and less specialized/easier to use than the hard edged ones (but a set of hard edged ones is next). The first time I used them I fell in love. Literally. They completely changed how I shot and looked at landscape scenes. Soon after I picked up a Big-Stopper (10 stop ND square filter), and again, fell in love. It's allowed for some, in my humble opinion, excellent shots that I would have never been able to capture before. This week I snagged a Little-Stopper (haven't had much time to use it), and the reverse GND. The reverse GND is by and far the hardest to use--the hard edged dark line (2 stops of light reduction) is really difficult to use as any foreground or such on the horizon line becomes rapidly darkened (see photo 1 on the right hand side near the bottom of the dark clouds). However, I honestly love these filters, and am SO glad I purchased them. Sure, there are cheaper versions and more expensive versions, but this system seemed right for me. On a side note, I really like that I've taken on landscape photography. It's challenging, it's relaxing, and most of all it's rewarding. There's nothing better than spending 3 hours shooting a gorgeous sunset on the beach, with the only sound being nature and a few clicks from your camera. That in an of itself makes it all worth it. Here's an example from one of my first shoots with the GND's, posted unedited--the top shot is with no filters, and the bottom has 2 I think (0.6 and 0.3?) http://s780.photobucket.com/user/Stratusfearrr/media/FilterExample_zps21c99a84.jpg.html Also, here's one from last night's shoot without filters. Without: http://s780.photobucket.com/user/St...nShot2014-05-07at75930AM_zps4e0e5a00.png.html With: http://s780.photobucket.com/user/St...nShot2014-05-07at75945AM_zps6327b60e.png.html I should add that I ALWAYS shoot in RAW... the filters do a great job, but they can only do so much. There's always a little tweaking that needs to be done to get it to where they are in the original post. Cheers! Jake

That was a great explanation! Your photos are lovely and compel me to attempt using such filters. I don't get out enough to do landscape photography so I don't know that the money spent would be worth it but, it is really tempting.
 
Excellent explanation Jake. You really illustrated what a differences the filters can make.
 
Excellent explanation Jake. You really illustrated what a differences the filters can make.

Thank you! They really are a necessity for landscape shots, particularly for sunsets and sunrises.

Cheers!
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom