What's new

Revised College Portfolio feedback?

OhInsanity

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
64
Reaction score
2
Location
California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know I've already posted a similar thread but I took you guys advice and went out to get more shots, its too much though. I dont have time to go take any new photos at this point, so this is all i got. If you have the time could you tell me which ones you would take out, or maybe retake? This is the last post about college stuff I promise! I'm sorry I'm just super super anxious about it. (again, the theme is music and I realize a few are just the same pic in a slightly different way so I can only use one of those) Also it might help to know my college essay was based on how concerts inspired me to pursue art as a career...so thats kinda what my college is looking for from me.

Actual Portfolio - a set on Flickr

thank you!!
Callie
 
Last edited:
What are you shooting with? In college you will be spending like 30-40 hours a week in class, so in my opinion and I could be wrong, I would think for a portfolio to get into college you would want to spend 3x's that taking pictures. There's definetely more variety now but there's not a photo that makes me go DAMN! Search the forums here there was a girl who shot rock concerts who did an amazing job, maybe some of her photos will inspire you to come up with something new. I don't really know what your college is expecting from you but I know your stuff looks similar to stuff I would shoot for HS photography and I slacked big time, so I might not be judging fairly.
 
I come from a town of like 500 people, concerts are about 5 hours away from me, also I dont have a lot of money so I've had to work my ass off to save up for a lens thats worth anything, (sigma 2.8 17-50mm which i just got a couple of weeks ago). I dont have much opportunities to shoot so I have to make due, this is all I've got and its due november first and I am going to send a portfolio in whether anyone thiks its worth crap or not. So thanks. I have only been shooting with interest of a career for maybe a year, and I just got a non point and shoot camera this summer. Which i also worked my ass off for. I know they arent the best pictures in the world but its all i have, all i'm asking is for help sifteing out the worst of them. Also I am in high school, and we dont have an art program, I've had to teach myself everything. The college i am going to is a small one, they look at your portfolio based on the experience youve had, where you came from, opportunities, etc, so that its fair. I dont think ive slacked off. Ive spent every penny ive had on this, Ive only been able to go to about 3 shows, and only one with my non kit lens that had a max aperture of around 4.5. I saved up to take lessons at a local art college last summer too. ever since then ive been at it whenever i can. Its also my senior year so i cant spend every minute on this, i have other work i have to do (even though my photography is more important to me, i have to keep up good grades)

I'm not looking for pity or any crap like that, those are just the facts ^. All I am looking for is a few "take that one outs"
 
Last edited:
I think you need to think outside the concert pics ideas. You said your theme is music. Well that is a HUGE area to work with. I think right now, your theme is Music Performance. I think if you make your theme a bit more specific then the photo ideas will start to flow. So you have the band members playing, what about pictures of an audience listening to the performance? All you need is some friends to help. No need to drive 5 hours to a concert. What else is there about concerts? Write some things down. Could be just keywords or feelings then think of how you can illustrate them in a photo. The college doesn't care that you have the latest DSLR or the fastest glass. Just let your creativity flow. You can do this, just don't pigeon hole yourself so much.
 
My theme is music performance because that is my passion and what I based my essay on. The college's prompt for a portfolio was "things that you are currently interested in so that we can have a fuller picture of you" It really doesnt matter now, I already emailed the site asking them to delete my account. So, so long, thanks for the ride I guess.
 
Why delete your account when you can just sign out and forget about it?
 
For the drama.

Hmmm...have you thought of a career in acting? Just a thought.
 
Why delete your account when you can just sign out and forget about it?
i dunno im just one of those people that doesnt like having accounts on sites that i dont keep up with, just paranoia i guess i dunno its silly but hey thats how i am
 
For the drama.

Hmmm...have you thought of a career in acting? Just a thought.
i honestly wasnt trying to start drama...i was just replyying to what the first person said so that they would know where im coming from, i dont have a problem with that person at all sorry for the typos my internet is down sso this is a mobile reply and the keys get stuck haha
 
We don't delete user accounts on the site. Just edit your profile to change your email address to something random and daft (eg sdfw@ dds.com) so that you no longer get emails from the site and then just delete the link (if you have one) in your bookmarks/favourites folder. From that point on you won't have any interaction with the site and without a working email registered to the account you won't get any input from the site itself.

Well, I guess you can't have your account deleted.

Also, you said twice that you were going to delete your account - yet you are still here. Everybody was honest with you -nobody was cruel. You definitely need thicker skin if you want to pursue this. If you are happy with your shots - then who cares what anyone else thinks. But, if you want to learn and improve you need to learn how to take criticism. Its not personal, it may feel like it but its not. Photography school will probably be even harsher.
 
Well, sincerely, good luck finding your "thing". I was young once, and looked for my thing. I didn't find it till a couple years in college. I have been doing my thing ever since!

While focussing on your current passion, keep your studies broad, as you may never know what may inspire you! While you may need to get a degree to get a job, remember that you can always learn new things on your own if you are determined enough. When I was your age we didn't have intertubes, so I spent a lot of time in the libraries learning about things they didn't teach in high school, or not in depth to my liking. Be responsible for your own education! Again, good luck!
 
I would take out all of the last ones, of the girl on bucket/guy with drumsticks (;ook back focused to me, as well as dull and unimaginative), and also remove the FIRST of the low-angle shots of the kid with the tennis shoe in the foreground.
 
ack im sorry my phone is going crazy and wont let me reply individualy right now and the screen is cracked so i cant see much haha. but maybe my internet will be back up and running tomorrow and i can reply, as for the deleting the account thing, i couldnt find the option anywhere so its kinda like oh well ya know. im interested in what you guys have said since i last replied but as i said i ccant see it, also its around one am and i got class tomorrow, sso i should get off for now, tomorrow ill try and hold off on typical teen responses, for now though, good night all
 
I would take out all of the last ones, of the girl on bucket/guy with drumsticks (;ook back focused to me, as well as dull and unimaginative), and also remove the FIRST of the low-angle shots of the kid with the tennis shoe in the foreground.
hey thanks! thats what I was looking for. I was probably gonna take those out anyway. The one with my friend and I with the instruments was intended to be like...city alley way with musicians/ self portrait in a way, but I wish I could have had an acoustic guitar and the tin wall doesnt look very city haha, just couldnt get what I had pictured in my mind. An Im gonna take all of the ones out with myself over the camera because I re-shot those and got some much better results.
 
Well, sincerely, good luck finding your "thing". I was young once, and looked for my thing. I didn't find it till a couple years in college. I have been doing my thing ever since!

While focussing on your current passion, keep your studies broad, as you may never know what may inspire you! While you may need to get a degree to get a job, remember that you can always learn new things on your own if you are determined enough. When I was your age we didn't have intertubes, so I spent a lot of time in the libraries learning about things they didn't teach in high school, or not in depth to my liking. Be responsible for your own education! Again, good luck!
Thank you! I'm glad I am fortunate enough to have the interwebs because our town library doubles as the fire dept/ city hall (I am 100% serious) so there is not much room for books haha! I apologize for the outburst of sorriness I had on the other thread, it was typical teen speak, but I also believe it can happen to anyone, I've seen it especially in forums. Which is why I am getting off, something about forums makes people quick to get angry, and then thats not helpful to anyone, thank you for your advice though your first reply on that thread really did get my mind going and is the reason I've been spending the past week thinking up new photo ideas. "the one trick pony" comment, I really needed to hear that even if I didnt really want to.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom