Revised College Portfolio feedback?

We don't delete user accounts on the site. Just edit your profile to change your email address to something random and daft (eg sdfw@ dds.com) so that you no longer get emails from the site and then just delete the link (if you have one) in your bookmarks/favourites folder. From that point on you won't have any interaction with the site and without a working email registered to the account you won't get any input from the site itself.

Well, I guess you can't have your account deleted.

Also, you said twice that you were going to delete your account - yet you are still here. Everybody was honest with you -nobody was cruel. You definitely need thicker skin if you want to pursue this. If you are happy with your shots - then who cares what anyone else thinks. But, if you want to learn and improve you need to learn how to take criticism. Its not personal, it may feel like it but its not. Photography school will probably be even harsher.

I am still here because I was ashamed of the stupid outburst I had and wanted to make amends to those who were trying to help, also as you said, accounts cannot be deleted. But as far as college critiquing goes...I saved up to spend a month at an art college in GA last summer and had my photos critiqued by classmates and professors several times, and it was nothing like this. They simply stated the specific areas you could improve and if they thought a photo was just not good they told you so without crushing your confidence. Maybe they were just too nice though I dunno I suppose I will have to find out at my new college.

Well, he((, if you've already had a foolish outburst, then it is time to STAY HERE, not leave!!! It takes at least ONE foolish outburst to become a full member here!!!

Stick around a while. Learn something. Teach us something.

Well, he((, if you've already had a foolish outburst, then it is time to STAY HERE, not leave!!! It takes at least ONE foolish outburst to become a full member here!!!

Stick around a while. Learn something. Teach us something.
haha! I guess that's probably true with forums, thanks. I was just thinking I had probably lost all respect here now. But even so, I need to start spending more time on my portfolio rather than on the internet right now. I've taken a day off of school just for that purpose, so I should get to work!

I would say you should stick around as well. You will certainly be given more to think about than you may in school. More importantly though, and I don't know anything about the school you are going to, but college art critiques can be just as a bitter pill to swallow as the critiques here. Think of it as college prep. :D

I will, I thought it out, I'll stick around. I go to one of those typical southern high schools that values football over art and academics in general. My art teacher is the elementary art teacher so we basically just color and do arts and crafts =/ she's a nice lady though. SO I guess this will have to fill in the hole at my school. Its kind of ironic because my school calls itself a "college preparatory school" what a load of bs haha. The first bitter pill is the hardest to swallow, so I wont get so upset next time around. Thanks for not completely disowning me after that spiel..I feel better knowing that.

Truth be told I skipped 70% of the posts in this thread because I'm rushing to get out the door to do some beautiful night shots! But if I don't say this now I won't be able to think of it later.

What I understand from this thread is that your hoping to attend college and take some sort of photography or graphic design class, what you shared with us is your portfolio so far, and your looking for advice on it yes?

Being 17 years old, not having a car, no money, and living in the middle of nowhere has taught me one valuable thing about thematic photography. If you can't go to the photos, bring them to you!

I'm sure in this town of 500 people you speak of there must be some teenage punk garage band somewhere, advertise that your doing band photography, for cheap, hell even free! (for the sake of your portfolio) and set up a studio where you can set the lighting how you want, get as many photos as you need, and delve into staged photography. Granted staged photography may be more technical and boring to someone who is used to spontaneous photos, but its something you MUST learn eventually; it teaches you about lighting and composition at the very least, which will improve all of your photography, staged or not!

As far as your portfolio you have at the moment, I think you have a relatively good number of photos, and quality ones. But they lack a sense of individuality. None really pop out with their own personality, except perhaps for the black and white ones, and those pop out because the rest are in color. I believe if you spend the time to really analyze the photo, and come up with an emotion to portray in your photos, not just the depth, but the quality will increase as well. The best you can possibly do is give someone a photograph, and they can imagine an entire story from it.

^ Personal opinions of course, and in the most polite respectful tone I can portray in text. I'm by no means a professional, just an enthusiast studying the means of creating images. Who is also a naive 17 year old!

Most reactions

Back