Rhyolite, 8 miles from Death Valley: Gold mining ghost town

Dave Maciak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At one time this place was booming, bank, dance hall, jail, train station, mercantile, etc. In recent years vandals have defaced or destroyed it.
The "art work" I am told by locals in Beatty, NV is from 2 gents from somewhere in eastern Europe, not sure where. They ran around the 120 degree desert wearing cowboy hats and speedo's, drinking warm beer--so the locals tell.
Picture 001.jpgbike.jpg
Picture 003.jpgcross.jpg
Picture 003.jpgcross.jpg
Picture 003.jpgcross.jpg
Picture 005.jpgwheel.jpg
Picture 009.jpgruins bldg.jpg
mercantile.jpg
Picture 011.jpgcaboose 2.jpg

Is that bike part of the art or placed there randomly ( and very artistically IMO )? Thanks for sharing these. I always enjoy seeing western US images.

rhyolite has been on my list of places to visit for a few years now. you got some great shots out there, love the b&w tones.

rhyolite has been on my list of places to visit for a few years now. you got some great shots out there, love the b&w tones.
I really can't take credit for the tones and levels; simply, the natural light in the desert is perfect. No big city to pollute the air, sky impossible blue. I have some color images which also display the same quality.
The bike? I don't know if the placement was intentional or not--but it "works". Also one of the highlights of a Rhyolite visit is breakfast or lunch at Mel's Diner in Beatty--a great little--and I mean little---place.

Excellent, evocative images. Cool 'ghost's too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back