Ricoh lens

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mother gave me her old Ricoh XR-P MF camera with 3 lenses and I picked up a 3rd from eBay. I’m fairly certain that Pentax lenses will fit this camera. My question is how do I determine “premium” glass from Ricoh or Pentax and are all MF Pentax lenses compatible? I know with Canon it is the “L” series and with Nikon they put a gold ring around the end of them. Is there markings like this for Ricoh or Pentax. Thanks in advance.

Using programmed autoexposure, the body of the XR-P is only able to control the aperture of Ricoh's own P lenses (not other K mount lenses such as the Pentax "A" series). Aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering are also possible using Pentax and other K mount lenses.

My mother gave me her old Ricoh XR-P MF camera with 3 lenses and I picked up a 3rd from eBay. I’m fairly certain that Pentax lenses will fit this camera. My question is how do I determine “premium” glass from Ricoh or Pentax and are all MF Pentax lenses compatible? I know with Canon it is the “L” series and with Nikon they put a gold ring around the end of them. Is there markings like this for Ricoh or Pentax. Thanks in advance.
I have no experience with Ricoh, but do have some experience with Pentax lenses. I believe the "premium" lenses you're referring to have low-dispersion glass elements. Canon calls them "L" lenses, Nikon calls them "ED" (extra low-dispersion,) and the ones I've used most are Leica-R APO lenses. As far as I know, Pentax never made any manual focus lenses with low-dispersion glass, but I've always been impressed with the image quality of their Takumar and later M series prime lenses. I don't think they were ever intended for serious professional use, though.

Using programmed autoexposure, the body of the XR-P is only able to control the aperture of Ricoh's own P lenses (not other K mount lenses such as the Pentax "A" series). Aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering are also possible using Pentax and other K mount lenses.
I did know this about the camera, but thanks for being willing to help out
I have no experience with Ricoh, but do have some experience with Pentax lenses. I believe the "premium" lenses you're referring to have low-dispersion glass elements. Canon calls them "L" lenses, Nikon calls them "ED" (extra low-dispersion,) and the ones I've used most are Leica-R APO lenses. As far as I know, Pentax never made any manual focus lenses with low-dispersion glass, but I've always been impressed with the image quality of their Takumar and later M series prime lenses. I don't think they were ever intended for serious professional use, though.
Do you know if the Takumar lenses would be fully functional on the Ricoh? And I’m not even close to a “serious” professional. Rank amateur at best.

Do you know if the Takumar lenses would be fully functional on the Ricoh? And I’m not even close to a “serious” professional. Rank amateur at best.
No, you'll be limited to aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering, no program mode.
As for "professional" use, I was referring to the M lenses not being mechanically robust - they just feel shoddy and cheap. However, for 35mm I shoot mostly Leica-R, Nikon and Zeiss, so I'm not used to lightweight plastics. The lenses may be more durable than I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back