Ring Flash or New Speedlite?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the opportunity to buy either a new Speedlite or a ring flash. I do mostly portrait work along with apparel catalog stuff. I also do product work. I do both studio and outdoor set-ups. I currently have one 580 EXII.

My question is, which would give me the most mileage? I could use another Speedlite, but the ring flash is so tantalizing. What does everyone use their ring flashes for, primarily?

Love to hear your thoughts!

I currently don't have a ring flash myself but it is in my near future. I hear it's the cat's meow if you like doing macro. With that said, I have to tell you I love my speedlight both on camera and remote-off-camera. :)

You know there's some new gadget out for around $300 that turns your speedlight into a ring-flash and seems to work quite well.

I just built a ringflash for about $30 (finished it yesterday) -- I went through the same decision making process and decided to do it this way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/sets/72157603816045949/

I've only taken one image so far as a test and it seems to work (I'm using my 430EX for the light source)

lighttest.jpg

Now of course if someone wanted to front me the money for a real one , I wouldn't complain ...

Smaller ring flash is most used for macro. Larger ring flash is typically used in glamour photography. It can make for a nice look but other than that one 'look'...you don't get much else. I'd think that you could do a lot more with a 2nd flash unit and some creativity.

I agree.... unless you are into macro photography, you'll find more use out of a 2nd flash.

That's why I decided to make my own -- I figure at $30 it was worth a try, but the cost of a new canon ring is sky high (and even higher if you're crazy enough to get the twin-light)

I've never owned a ring flash but have done a tone of modeling in the last 5 years and 75 percent of my photos have been taken with a ring flash. I have noticed a lot of photog's using them. I personally like the effect of them on my photos. It might be a great addition to your gear for line of work

I just built a ringflash for about $30 (finished it yesterday) -- I went through the same decision making process and decided to do it this way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/sets/72157603816045949/

I've only taken one image so far as a test and it seems to work (I'm using my 430EX for the light source)

lighttest.jpg

Now of course if someone wanted to front me the money for a real one , I wouldn't complain ...

icassell, you seem to have hair growing out of your palms... I wonder what that could mean??? :lmao:

Most reactions

Back