ring flash

blind1587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive but decent ring flash. The primary lens for use with the ring flash will be the Tamron 90mm macro f/2.8. Thanks

Check out member Buckster on his DIY stuff. I dabble in macro and his work towards that end is very interesting. Similar to ring light.

Do a search, I can't remember the thread, but it's been in the last year.

Otherwise, .................................. $$$

I have an older Phoenix ring flash I used with my Nikon F100. It is not an I-TTL flash so will only work in manual on new digital bodies. They do make an I-TTL compatible light now. They are around $100. And for macro work it puts out pretty good light. Sigmas ring light which is 2x-3x more works very well. I myself have switched over to a Nikon R1 set. Just before x-mas I added 2 more sb-R200's to the original 2. So, when needed I have 4 mounted on the ring. But of course this is not a cheap option. But combined they give way more light than a ring light (if needed).

There is a Bower unit which has similar specifications as Phoenix (probably same manufacturer). It is $100 and its light is 5,600k so basically daylight. 46' at 100iso so its pretty decent range for a ring light. I have not tried or seen any of the LED ring lights in use. The LED's are about $150 from third party makers. I did notice the LED's are for bigger lenses most say for 67mm filter threads and up.

If you have some power tools and know how to use them, look into this. I built myself one. I modified it a little bit using stronger material. It works like a charm and no need for a separated flash, you simply use your speedlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a great DIY. You could probably sell those. Probably works a lot better than those plastic Chinese eBay versions and seems sturdier and less awkward to use than the Orbis and Ray Gun.

Most reactions

Back