Ring Shots

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just an idea, but perhaps we could start a wee thread within this forum for hints and tips on a staple shot that has to be taken at every wedding: the dreaded ring.

Let's admit it, every bride secretly hopes that their ring is going to be the look a like comparison to the rock(s) on Victoria Beckham's fingers with a slightly less steep price tag. So, as individuals who are given that one chance before they are marred by washing dishes (aka. overly zealous nintendo wii playing) how can we take those images to make them feel like they have the hope diamond in their collection?

I for one have a lack of creativity with this (I admit, I despise jewellery, so my appreciation of it is.. minimal), so additional input and ideas would be wonderful!

Here is my go at it:

One thought (commonly done) is using a wine or champange glass upside down (or the rings inside), however, my little twist was manipulating the background. What is even more wonderful about this is you can incorporate their colour scheme. How? Use your computer screen as the background. Yup, one small file and the paintbucket tool. Easy!

I used a flash to light the rings and one hint I have picked up about post processing is to sharpen just the diamond - brings out the highlights and the contrast. Also, use the sponge tool on desaturate (I used 100% on these) to rid of the chromatic abberation which pops its ugly head up with the light bouncing throughout the rock giving it a bit of a purple/blue tinge) I didn't do this on the third (though the toning is different... hmm... I don't think that is it) and it looks 'cheaper'

Here are some quick examples.

2164928051_42bee34951.jpg

2165722482_d15d1a7bf5.jpg

Different colour blue, different effect
2165722592_442c0483b1.jpg

2165722716_126ebd54c9.jpg

Just a note: I am thinking perhaps we make this just for off the hand ring shots

Mods, please feel free to move this if you find it is in the wrong section.

The colors are very nice, and the use of your monitor as background is pretty creative.

One thing though, they could use more DOF.

I agree Phototron about the DOF. I can see how people (especially in the last) would be like.. "but what happened to the other diamonds. Can you unblur them?" *blank stare*.

Here is an additional image
2164928849_6d3e842714.jpg

Question on this one: Any know a quick an easy method of lighting a cut gem like this? If one had a tripod enough experimentation would result in a nicely *shimmering* gem the whole way around but what is a quicker method? (this is the best of about 4 I took)

You mean to make them sparkle?

You could try making the key light much smaller.

Well make the key light appear much smaller. The problem with macro is, especially if the flash is close to the source, that the light appears large and soft in relation to the subject. It basically turns from a nightmare light into a softbox.

Two methods to reduce this is to move the flash further away, or put something infront of the flash to reduce the size (and yes the efficiency) of the opening.

One thing you may experiment with is something like a sheet of paper with a hole in it. The sheet of paper would make a large soft light to bring out the ring, while the hole would let a bit of harsh direct light through to add that sparkle through. At least that is the idea as it's going in my head. I think I may try this sometime.

Here's my contribution and it's probably my favorite ring shot at a wedding so far. This has a limited use of military type wedding though. This was taken at a wedding where the couple and wedding party were dressed in civil war period attire as the couple was heavy into re-enacting.

IMGP5841web.jpg

Question on this one: Any know a quick an easy method of lighting a cut gem like this? If one had a tripod enough experimentation would result in a nicely *shimmering* gem the whole way around but what is a quicker method? (this is the best of about 4 I took)
My first thought would be to use a light tent...although that may not be easy while trying to shoot a wedding. I think they have smaller 'fold up' light tents...but it's probably more bother than it's worth...especially if you don't really like rings shots.

I don't have an example, but one 'standard' ring shot that I've seen and like...is placing the ring (needs to be a band) between the pages of an open book (bible) and back lighting it. The shadow falls toward the camera, forming a heart shape.

Another standard it to just drop it into a flower from the bouquet.

I don't have an example, but one 'standard' ring shot that I've seen and like...is placing the ring (needs to be a band) between the pages of an open book (bible) and back lighting it. The shadow falls toward the camera, forming a heart shape.

Like so?
Wed.jpg

Maybe :scratch: :roll:

From my work computer, I can no longer see photos hosted on Photobucket :(

PWGad.jpg
I think that one important part of the Bible/Heart picture is what the text is turned to. Notice the picture has the verse, " ... Shall cling to his wife, and the two shall become one."
What's funny though, is that the opposite text is talking about Slaves obeying there masters.
I usually turn to Corintians 13. There's nothing about slaves there :)
Here's one I did, (but didn't have time to pick a verse.)
Sorry for the additional images and size. It was already on my website this way.)

Wow guys! Those are beautiful!
Here was my try. :blushing:
1908779276_49dcb8ffde.jpg

When I photograph rings for our website, I use a small piece of wax on the bottom of the band so that the ring can stand up by itself. It works great.

Most reactions

Back