Ringflash..yay or nay?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just ordered the Sigma 105mm macro and a Nikon SB-600 with lumiquest softbox. I was wondering if I should order a ringlight for the macro lens. How much does it really help as far as handholding goes? Id imagine there could be some times where its a lifesaver.

But, the real question is, would it be useful to get a ringlight, or use the SB-600 and softbox (or without the softbox) offcamera (possibly, or on..if it would work that way for macros..) instead of getting a ringlight. Are the two interchangable for macros or is a ringlight the way to go?

Mark

you could make a beauty ring.

Got a "how to link" ?...MIke

I have a beauty ring link if you dont mind me posting it....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-Jozf7CAA]YouTube - DIY DSLR Ring-Flash part 1 of 2[/ame]

That is the first video. Just check out the rest of his videos for the 2nd part.

..I was thinking for bugs and little critters like that. If I were to go through all that, Id rather just get the ringlight.

Mark

for macro work with that homebuilt rig...........Mike

Do you recall the works of DoeNoe or had a look at some of (forgot his name - that guy with green spinning avatar....) and my own - all three (though the other two have the method more perfected than I) have used a speedlite flash and softbox (lumiquest softbox) for much of our macro work.

In the hotshoe itself it gives good lighting and if you get an off camera flash cord you can get really creative with the light angles - even just a flash bracket to shift the light a bit works really well (idealy above the end of the lens and angled towrad the subject is a great spot)

I would not jump for a ringflash just yet - use what you have as you have good gear that can work well already.

Last edited:
Well, I asked around a bit and a friend of a friend is getting rid of his ringflash. He offered to sell it to me for $50. It is This one. He got a macro lens and found out it wasnt his thing (Nikon 55mm micro). The lens has since been sold, and now I have his flash (still in the box!). My Sigma 105 macro will arrive tomorrow, so I really cant wait to try out the couple.

On a side note, I do remember doenoe. Quite well. He is the one that got me originally on the forum here (indirectly, I just got on browsing and saw his work, so I signed up). So, in the past week, I have picked up the Sigma 105mm macro, Bower ringflash, and SB-600. Not too shabby, I think. =]

Mark

Grats on the one from the friend

but viva la diy!

4229207244_1abd8384aa.jpg

Yo no vivo el DIY, pero puedo mirarlo. :)

Maybe eventually, but I just couldnt pass up the ringflash for that price. Who knows, if it ends up just being a toy, then so be it. But it's always nice to have if I end up needing it.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back