Rip it to shreds!

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After a very long break from portraiture, I had a shoot scheduled for today. Just some basic freebie headshots for a local graduate student.

Turns out, she didn't show! A lost opportunity on her part. Luckily, the assistant I had along who wanted to learn about photography was willing to go under the lens. We spent some time taking shots, talking about the differences in flash vs no flash, and talking about balancing light. I didn't expect to get anything out as we didn't actually spend time posing, or working towards a product. Turns out this one wasn't too bad!

So, rip it to shreds! For me personally, I hate the bike in the background (then again my town is the bike capital of the US), and I'm not a fan of her finger placement. Both of which could have been remedied in a less impromptu shooting situation I feel.

1. Fatima

Fatima by TogaLive, on Flickr

1/160, f/4, ISO100, on a 70-200. Softbox camera right filling in for the sunlight being reflected off the library to our left.

Last edited:
You've hit the key points that I noticed. As well, her skin seems just a bit hot, and I think the green channel could be dialed back a tad, but overall, not bad.

Not a people shooter or qualified critic in any way, but did notice she is rather awkwardly cut off at the knees.

My main issue with the image is that the background is very busy (esp. the benches), and would benefit from having a really thin DOF. The fill is cooler in colour than the reflected sunlight (her right cheek is warmer than her left) but probably not enough for people to notice (except for persnickety photographers :wink: ). Personally, I'd be hunting for a simpler, cleaner background.

My main issue with this image is the high "dominating" position, I would have much preferred an eye level shot.

My main issue with this image is the high "dominating" position, I would have much preferred an eye level shot.

I agree. IMO that is the most serious flaw, and it's all yours.

I agree. IMO that is the most serious flaw, and it's all yours.

Ditto shot too high. Also her hands. I would have had her lean forwards more, resting her forearms on her legs. Scoot butt all the way to the very edge of the bench.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back