River Flow - Please critique

bartonkj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please critique the following photo. - See my next post below....

RiverSwirl.jpg

55mm
ISO 100
f/38 @ 3.0s
manual focus

First off, the shot is way too blue. Secondly, although the branches at the top can sometimes be used a framing technique, they are too underexposed, thin, and scraggly to effectively be used as such in this shot. Work on warming up the white balance and composition for a shot like this.

As far as the blue I posted the wrong photo. Here is the one that should have been posted.

RiverFlow.jpg

Do you like the composition on this one any better?

River2.jpg

Yes, the second one is WAY better. I like it. Perhaps a bit bright in parts, but that's ok. Maybe a polarizer would help...or an HDR would perhaps really do this photo justice.

I prefer the second for composition, but it lacks contrast.
I wouldn't be to afraid to maybe blow the highlights in the water a little more, it will surely bring your attention to it.
I may have gone a little over the top, but it's hard to edit a small resolution.

River2.jpg

Process:
Deepened the shadows and slightly bossted midtones and highlights in curves.
Slightly darkened the red channel.
Unsharpen Mask - 100%amount 0.3radius 1 threshold
Burn tool - Midtones - 10% and darkened small areas around the whites in the water to make it pop a little more.
Selected the bank and trees in the left hand side, boosted contrast and brightness.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try another edit of the raw photo to try some of your tips when I get home. I will post my results .

I tried to take some of your suggestions on the editing of the photo but not sure I got it right - here it is anyway. I wasn't able to do everything you did simply because I am not experienced enough in photoshop....

RiverEdited.jpg

I like what gizmo did but i would have desaturated the cyans some. the water has a weird blue tint to me.

I haven't explored the realm of modifying colors yet - that is a little complicated for me since I am still a newbie in such things as that; and, I have some color vision problems which make that more challenging too.

Most reactions

Back