What's new

River Flows Past Gollum's Cave....

pgriz said:
Charlie, do you have/use a tripod?

No tripod...just finally got my first DSLR...next stop tripod
 
Ernicus said:
Here's two samples I could find quicky, kinda, my chit is soooo unorganized. but this was a test I was doing on the very thing, dof. These are unedited test shots, so comp sucks and they overall suck...but shows dof issues.
.
Thx for this example Ernie..I reshot some stuff today with a smaller fstop...just went out in the morning in the bright haze. We'll see how they come out
 
ah, OK. I think you will find that a good tripod allows you much more flexibility, and helps you take the time to get the shot right. I used to disparage the tripod as getting in the way of the "flow", but after seeing many good images by my photo club members, and learning the effort they took in constructing the shot, I've changed my approach. With the tripod, I get many more keepers than I used to get without it. The main benefit is that it makes you take the time to set up the shot, and to verify the results without losing the framing and positioning. It also opens up the possibility of using very slow shutter speeds.
 
pgriz said:
ah, OK. I think you will find that a good tripod allows you much more flexibility, and helps you take the time to get the shot right. I used to disparage the tripod as getting in the way of the "flow", but after seeing many good images by my photo club members, and learning the effort they took in constructing the shot, I've changed my approach. With the tripod, I get many more keepers than I used to get without it. The main benefit is that it makes you take the time to set up the shot, and to verify the results without losing the framing and positioning. It also opens up the possibility of using very slow shutter speeds.

I can dig it. I do a lot of moving around...especially at the beach...when I shoot. I definitely have a lot of wasted movement...a tripod probably would help focus things a bit...good advice.. Plus the sharpness, of course. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
There is a decent manfrotto pod for sale here in the buy/sell for 80 bucks if you can swing it, you'll need to get a head though.
 
Thx for the suggestion...I am definitely in the market for a tripod...considering I am about to do a x-country drive...just me, my camera, and my dog...and an external hard drive, of course. I'll check out the post...thx
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom