road trip possibilities

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
not sure if this is in an appropriate section, so feel free to move it if it is...

anyways, i'm planning a bit of a road trip with my friend for next week hopefully to drive up californias coast to take various landscapes/ seascapes or whatever really. the only problem is i'm not really sure which route to take, i was thinking maybe the PCH since i know we'd get some good scenic views, but i'm not positive yet. i'd like to maybe make it up to bay area, but the weather is kind of shoddy up there right now from what i've seen so we'll see about that. i'm going to do some scouting on google earth the next few days to get a better idea of where would be cool to go.

we both live in temecula, california (kind of between san diego and la) and are hopefully going to make this a 3 day 2 night trip. if anyone has been up or down the PCH or has any suggestions on beaches to stop to see etc, feel free to chime in!

Definitely take Highway 1 up the coast. It's windy and long, but well worth it for a photographer. You'll get places like Big Sur, San Francisco, Marin Headlands, Point Reyes, etc. If you're limited when it comes to time, you can just take 101 or I-5 one direction and Highway 1 the other.

yeah that's pretty much what i was taking, take the 1 heading north then take whatever freeway is faster coming back home if need be. plus windy and long roads are always somewhat fun to drive and i've been wanting to travel it for a long time now;)

silly question kind of, but would i for the most part be able to get to some pretty cool spots by just staying on that main road? or would i need to take lots of turn offs etc. to get to main beaches?

There are plenty of beaches right off the road, and also some more that are a ways off the highway. Point Reyes, for example, is a peninsula, so you would have to take another road out there, and you would preferably be spending the better part of a day there since there is so much to see. But there is also tons of stuff to see right off the highway as well... Just north of Bodega Bay you can pull over at low tide and climb down the cliffs to really cool tide pools and beaches.

alright cool, thanks a lot for the tips.

i'm hoping to make it to san francisco but i'm not sure if that will fit in the 3 days schedule with pulling off and stopping at various areas pretty frequently i'd assume, but we'll have to see.

Most reactions

Back