Roadside Cross

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are a few of these scattered around our area, this one is on a busy highway on a bad curve so I haven't stopped to shoot it yet (obviously not a good place to stop :( )
I wish the cross was a smidge sharper but there is still "something" about this shot that I like.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for taking a look!

The tree and the cross are well balanced, you've got good objects in the frame in good places. I think there's a bunch of directions you could go with this. Selecting where to place focus, how much depth of field to use, different skies, different treatments in post.

This photograph as it stands is pretty good, but I think it's quite neutral in terms of its expressiveness. I think what you need now is a clearer vision of what you want to portray, and then go attempt to make an image that does that.

Thanks Amolitor, perhaps it is the balance that I'm liking. I agree the image is lacking and have been pondering it for a while now, I will def. keep pondering how to express more emotion and how to safely get the shot.

Definitely, don't get run over trying to get the perfect shot ;)

Judi, you don't want to have another cross added to that one. There's a reason why it is there. But aside from that, good balance, as amolitor noted. One possible idea is to go lower and a bit to the left, so that the cross rises above the landscape, and maybe justaposed over (or besides) the background tree. The flowers on the cross, and the license plates tell a poignant story.

Pgriz, agree! I promise to be VERY careful.
Thanks for the suggestions. Shooting from the road (which I would really like to get some road into this shot) I'd be facing south so there will be some yummy light falling across everything. I love the idea of being lower, it might combine my thoughts with yours very nicely :)

If the cross is the subject, it needs to be in focus (or equally out of focus with the rest of the photo). As such, this is more of a photo of a tree, with a cross in it.

Thanks Sleist, I agree about the focus on the cross, next time I shoot I will be stopping instead of shooting as we drive by. The focus on the cross is why I hesitated to post this because it is more of a practice shot but I was having a hard time figuring out what I liked about this composition, I think it is the balance.

Come to New Mexico if you want to shoot road side crosses. Unfortunately we have a very high DWI rate and these crosses are about every 1/4 mile. Nice composition by the way :)

Come to New Mexico if you want to shoot road side crosses. Unfortunately we have a very high DWI rate and these crosses are about every 1/4 mile. Nice composition by the way :)

Not all roadside crosses are set due to intoxication. I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes it's simply a case of stoopiditity.

I love how you are first drawn towards the tree but then catch the cross in your view and go back and forth I like it. well done

Most reactions

Back