rocketfish filters from best buy?

MitchStrp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay, new DSLR owner here and for xmas i got a nikon d3200 and my brother got me a uv filter and a circular polarizer and i CANNOT tell the difference and neither can anyone else. Are these filters junk and can someone point me in the right direction for some nice quality ones?

and also i cannot find how to turn on HDR on my camera.. some help please ? Thank you guys!!

The CPL will be the one that rotates!

Seriously, though, you generally get what you pay for. Hoya, B&W, and Tiffen are well established companies, and there aere Nikon branded CPLs. I have a couple of Cokin square filters that I use with film that I am happy with.

okay, new DSLR owner here and for xmas i got a nikon d3200 and my brother got me a uv filter and a circular polarizer and i CANNOT tell the difference and neither can anyone else. Are these filters junk and can someone point me in the right direction for some nice quality ones?

and also i cannot find how to turn on HDR on my camera.. some help please ? Thank you guys!!

The UV will be quite clear. The CPL will be dark and look like two thin filters put together.

Oh, wait..... Do you mean show you the difference between cheap filters and good ones? You can't tell much by looking at them. The difference will manifest itself in Image Quality.

The D3200 does not have HDR.

There should be markings on the filters to tell what they are.

UV filters were used back in the days of film cameras. The UV filter does nothing for digital cameras, because there's already a UV filter built into digital cameras. There's a common myth that they protect the front glass of the lens, but that's very much in dispute and in some cases has actually caused damage when the glass shards DO scratch the lens if it's broken. In addition, the UV filter on the front of the lens tends to cause image quality problems in the form of ghosting, reflections, and other issues.

Circular Polarizers are useful for cutting glare, cutting reflections, and making skies blue. Stand at an angle to a window where you can see the reflection in it of something, then turn the polarizing filter slowly in a circle. You should see the reflection fade away so that you can see better through the window, and then return as you keep rotating. It's the same kind of stuff that fishermen use in their polarized sunglasses to cut down the reflections on the water, allowing them to see INTO the water better.

I bought the same. UV and polr. I don't think they are that great of a quality. The polr only works well if your 90 degrees from the sun but it does cut glare down.. You need to rotate the filter. I found some on b&h that I'm ordering for a reasonable price.. But like mentioned above, ya get what you pay for.

The polr only works well if your 90 degrees from the sun but it does cut glare down

That's the way most if not all polarizing filters work, with light coming in from an angle with the strongest effect on light coming in from a 90 degree angle.

Unless you are getting things constantly on the front of your lens (water,sweat, sand,blood) leave the UV filter off. The quality of the one you have is not very good and will only hurt the look of images you make.

If you want to create HDR images you will have to do it manually by taking multiple exposures at different settings. Plenty of tips on that in the HDR section and on You Tube.

Most reactions

Back