Rockin the Beard

I like it, but his arms being out of focus is distracting for me. But it is nice! :)

It looks to me like the hot spot of the light is on his neck, which is lighter than his face.
The light here is so balanced that there is no shadows, texture or much character to his face.
His hair sort of merges with the background
Being posed straight on to the camera- with a single color shirt and his arms just dangling - just makes everything south of his chin not very interesting.

It looks to me like the hot spot of the light is on his neck, which is lighter than his face.
The light here is so balanced that there is no shadows, texture or much character to his face.
His hair sort of merges with the background
Being posed straight on to the camera- with a single color shirt and his arms just dangling - just makes everything south of his chin not very interesting.

that's not a hot spot on his neck.
his neck is actually lighter than his face. that's the actual skin tone difference. it looks pretty much the same in person.
maybe the effect is exacerbated by the lighting.
his hair does sort of merges with the background. im good with how it looks though.
yes, the lighting is balanced in the same way I do almost all of my portraits. so...yay for consistency.
If I had lit this one differently, it would have been different from the shots in my portfolio that he looked at and liked, and subsequently hired me based on. I will concede that its not for everyone, but it is for some.
while it may be sans shadows, there does appear to be tons character in his face. i mean, seriously...its impossible for him NOT to have character with a beard like that.
I actually like the pose here, though the somewhat OOF arm is bothersome. as mentioned earlier, I may recrop this higher up.
believe me, there is no lack of interesting things south of his chin.

anyway, I appreciate the feedback and will endeavor to incorporate the information into my knowledge base and see what happens the next time this situation arises.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back