Rocky Mountain Milky way

Love it. Trying to incorporate some more foreground into my Milky Way shots, so it's great reading about other techniques used and seeing the results. Thanks for posting.

I'm loving this photo, and I love the contrast of the brilliant starry sky with the darker foreground. It gives enough detail to see the trees, the lake, and then the mountains in the background having more detail.

I know personally, when I've tried to take night sky photos, I always want the foreground as exposed as the sky and it feels a little fake. I think your approach makes it feel more "comfy." I know, that doesn't really make sense.

I made my way up to Rocky Mountain Nation Park Friday night after work to see if I could take advantage of the new moon and get a nice shot of the milky way. My plan was to get there early enough to have lots of time to scout out a shot and get some blue hour shots for the foreground and mountains then hang out and wait for the milk way to rise.. Originally I went to Sprague lake but didn't find any shots I was happy with so after about an hour I moved on to Bear Lake which I have tried shooting the milk way many times but never really got lucky with clear skys.

I thought Id try a different vantage point this time and I started making my way up the hillside. Lets just say it got really steep and I was not finding a good clearing in the trees that allowed a view of the lake below. After about an hour of fighting may way through some really thick trees. I finally came upon the spot where I made this shot. I was not totally thrilled with the clearing and there are some trees I wish were not there but alas I had begun to run out of light and just decided to go with it.

This image is made from two shots, I used a Canon 5DmkIV with a 25mm Zeiss Distagon f/2.0
Foreground and mountains shot about 9:15PM about 40 minutes after sunset f/8.0, 20 sec, ISO 100.
The sky was shot from the same location at about 11:00PM f/2.0, 15 sec, ISO 3200.
I manually blended the shots in Photoshop,

LongsPeakMilkyWay-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr
Amazing job and great composition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I made my way up to Rocky Mountain Nation Park Friday night after work to see if I could take advantage of the new moon and get a nice shot of the milky way. My plan was to get there early enough to have lots of time to scout out a shot and get some blue hour shots for the foreground and mountains then hang out and wait for the milk way to rise.. Originally I went to Sprague lake but didn't find any shots I was happy with so after about an hour I moved on to Bear Lake which I have tried shooting the milk way many times but never really got lucky with clear skys.

I thought Id try a different vantage point this time and I started making my way up the hillside. Lets just say it got really steep and I was not finding a good clearing in the trees that allowed a view of the lake below. After about an hour of fighting may way through some really thick trees. I finally came upon the spot where I made this shot. I was not totally thrilled with the clearing and there are some trees I wish were not there but alas I had begun to run out of light and just decided to go with it.

This image is made from two shots, I used a Canon 5DmkIV with a 25mm Zeiss Distagon f/2.0
Foreground and mountains shot about 9:15PM about 40 minutes after sunset f/8.0, 20 sec, ISO 100.
The sky was shot from the same location at about 11:00PM f/2.0, 15 sec, ISO 3200.
I manually blended the shots in Photoshop,

LongsPeakMilkyWay-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr
That really is a gorgeous shot! I think you nailed it!

Did you use night-vision googles getting down :popcorn:

Did you use night-vision googles getting down :popcorn:

haha no I just used a head lamp and my trusty hiking poles which were a life saver. I never go out into the wilderness without them.
It was a little funny. There were some other photographers down at the shoreline of the lake right where I was climbing down. I must have startled one of them could I could vaguely here one say "Did you hear that? I think there something back there." I made sure to shine my light in their direction so they at least knew it was another human. After all the lake is called "Bear Lake".

A stunningly beautiful image, an image to be proud of and maybe get framed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back