Ruined Milky Way

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ventured to the icy frozen beach in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Love this location even though it wasn’t quite as dark as we’d hoped. Despite the hiking boots and poles, I had an epic wipe out on the ice and wrecked my elbow. Fortunately was wearing my gear cross body - would have hurt my back for sure if I’d been using a back pack. Also fortunate that the fall came after the shoot on the hike back to the car so I got the shots! I think the 3 sweaters and two coats I was wearing cushioned quite a bit of the impact aside from the elbow.

Pano of 5 vertical single exposures at 14mm
Milky Way Ruins by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Single shot at 12mm

Inside the ruins

Micro-spikes. I never leave home without them in the winter.

I like these. The ruin is positioned perfectly in front of the brighter light in the first one. And I like how the ruin and windows frame various parts of the sky and background lights in the last one.

Micro-spikes. I never leave home without them in the winter.

I like these. The ruin is positioned perfectly in front of the brighter light in the first one. And I like how the ruin and windows frame various parts of the sky and background lights in the last one.
Thanks Pete! I’m embarrassed to say that I brought my spikes with me then left them in the car by mistake. The 15 minute walk from parking to trail head was on a dry road. By the time I realized I needed and had forgotten my spikes it was too late. The others would have had to wait a half hour for me to make the round trip back to get them. Or I would have had to take the chance of hiking in alone if they went on without me. There were only 3 of us so splitting the group wasn’t a good idea. This mistake won’t be repeated!!

We lit the ruin with a Lume Cube 2 on lowest setting for amber. The moon was just below the horizon which also added light. I would have liked to get a shot without the Lume but ran out of time.

Reactions: PJM
These look great! This last one is really beautiful, might be my fave of the set.

Sorry to hear about your fall! That could have been really bad - glad you made it out with your gear intact! ;)

Great set! Ouch on the fall. A lot of work to hike in, but the photos paid off.

Nice set. I like 3 and 4 most. Sorry about your fall and hope for a quick healing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back