Rocky Mountains - Alberta - Summer 2007

Sounds like you've done your homework. hehe.

Personally, I'd like to start on the weekend (Sat. July 21) and have the main outings then and if others wish to stay the rest of the week, great! I don't believe I have any banked holiday hours but i'll look into it.

I like the idea of tenting. I'd be in for that.

Of course I have done my homework.. err.. though I will admit the Key is going to be my lifeline for the next 30 hours.

Anyways, those dates will work great for me as well. I would probably look into joining for 3-5 of those days. On the tenting front *ahem* I will probably be looking into a slightly different type of accommodation - as I am not quite that adventurous. In all likelihood my mother will actually be coming up as well (due to the lack of extra vehicles) and spend her time doing other things.

Now, this is just a quick idea being thrown out there, but I was wondering if perhaps the Jasper - Banff range may be a little large to cover within such a short time frame - especially regarding travel time to-and-from locations. How would people feel about ‘dedicating’ a certain time frame (4 or 5 days perhaps?) to Banff and Lake Louise area and the other to Jasper. (or vice-versa)?

That is all that has come to my head thus far, but I will definitely be watching this thread closely :)

Edit: We should probably start discussing photography locations and/or subjects as well. I am sure with all of the back country knowledge lurking in here, we will be able to uncover some great areas. Obviously we have some mountain bikers around as well - would anyone be willing or interesting in having perhaps a little mountain 'action' time?

Totally depends where I'm at then, but I think I would probably be up for coming out, even just for a day maybe if I can't swing the whole weekend. Another really great camping place is Abraham Lake past Rocky Mountain House, I know its not Jasper, but theres some amazing stuff out there. Maybe not necessarily the proper venue for this type of meeting, but for any campers out there, its definately worth checking out.

Good tip.

Last summer I spent a few days at Crescent Falls, which is just a bit north east of Abraham Lake. It was a 'stag party' and we had a great time.

Here is a shot of the groom-to-be fly fishing
Russ-1Web.jpg

Crescent Falls is definately one of my favourite campgrounds! I'll have to look around and see if I can find any pictures from when I was there last May!

OK...I had a look at the calender and I'm thinking around the week of July 22-28.

The 21st is a Saturday, so that might be a good first day and that gives people a weekend. If people can or want to stay the rest of the week...that would be cool. Or if it works out better, we could meet on Monday the 23rd and include the weekend of the 28th & 29th.

It has been suggested that we pick a central location (between Banff and Jasper). That way we are roughly within a 3 hour drive of a good number of different areas. There is certainly plenty of camping/accommodations around the David Thomson Highway between Nordegg and the Icefields Parkway.

If we have enough people wanting to camp, we can book a group camp site somewhere. This usually has to be done well ahead of time...and requires a deposit...so we would really have to have some solid confirmations.

I was in Lake Louise, yesterday, taking photos, and found out that the Lake Louise Campground will accept reservations up to three months in advance. They would be willing to block campsites close together, and the cost is $27.70 (Cdn) for a site with hookups, and $23.30 (Cdn) without.

The Lake Louise shopping centre would make a great centralized meeting location, with K-Country only 2 hours away - food & shopping in Canmore, Jasper only 3 hours away - food & shopping in Jasper, and Emerald Lake is only 45 minutes away - food in Field BC. As far as Moraine Lake and Lake Louise goes, we would be there and there is food & shopping in Lake Louise. This seems to be the most centralized area which has all the amenities available.

Wildlife is abundant on both the Bow Valley Parkway, and the Icefields Parkway.

This would be a centralized meeting area, and we could fan out from there.

I am just now checking on hotel arrangements and will keep you advised. I know that this will be the most challenging due to the increased tourist season at that time of the year. There are alternatives to consider, such as three nights in Canmore for the Southern portion, and three nights in Jasper to cover the Northern portion. Availability will dictate the best arrangements.

Man, this is going to be fun! :sexywink: I am getting excited already!

If we had to throw in a vote at thsi moment, I would be goign for Lake Louise as a central meeting area as Cyber Surfer mentioned, but open to suggestions. :) This is going to be grand.

That all sound excellent, thanks for the recon work.

I like the idea of Lake Louise :thumbsup:

OK...I had a look at the calender and I'm thinking around the week of July 22-28.

The 21st is a Saturday, so that might be a good first day and that gives people a weekend. If people can or want to stay the rest of the week...that would be cool. Or if it works out better, we could meet on Monday the 23rd and include the weekend of the 28th & 29th.

This is what we are looking at...and nobody, that I have talked to, has a problem with these dates....so I'd say that this is 90% firm. The Lake Louise campground is booked three months in advance...so that can't be done until then...but hotels and flights can obviously be booked anytime now.

Well things are moving along! I have a time ,share in Canmore (20 mins from Banff) that depending on avaibility I can get for 75 a nite,,, full kitchen and will sleep 6. If anyone is remotely interested let me know asap, and I will check to see if we can get time for the dates.
There is lots of time,share in Canmore, which may work for some folks.

Okay, one final nudge to double check that it is indeed the weekend of the 21st - 28th (ish?). If so I will probably start booking and planning. It appears that either that Friday or Saturday I may be assisting at a wedding, so I may miss the first day, but otherwise I am looking free. (How strange is that, I can barely conclusively book myself 2 days in advance, yet somehow I manage to book this right when I don't need it. Oh well, I won't be the one to appeal to the bride!)

Most reactions

Back