Rocky Mountains - Alberta - Summer 2007

Jeff, its 233km to Jasper from L,L
speed limit 100km so 2hrs 30mins.
But I doubt if you will make it in under 4hrs,,, there is sooo much to see.:wink:

Peanuts & Jeff, sorry about the prices, but it is tourist season. Jeff, a nice place to stay in Jasper is the Mount Robson Motor Inn. The rooms are nice but reasonable. Call 780-852-9418. It is five blocks from the train station and the restaurant has very good Greek food.

For everyone coming to Lake Louise, look for the car in the Shopping Center parking lot with a florescent orange traffic cone on the roof. You should all see it easily, and that will identify the meeting place.

It looks like I will be joining everyone in Jasper on Thursday Night.
I was going to head up Wed Night but for me to Drive From Edmonton to Lake Louise and then to Jasper the next day is a bit to much driving. I will head up to Jasper Thursday night and meet everyone there.

Just a thought folks, as this is a tourist area prices are somewhat inflated, you will pay through the teeth for bear spray in Jasper!
So bring your staples with you.

Just a thought folks, as this is a tourist area prices are somewhat inflated, you will pay through the teeth for bear spray in Jasper!
So bring your staples with you.

I think we will be going as a group, as well we will not be going that deep into the back country, I do not think we will be needing Bear Spray, but bug spray is a must. Don't waste money on bear spray, you will not need it.

If you have some, great, bring it. But don't go out and buy some.:D

I have my camp site for Thursday to Sunday reserved. I will have my laptop and power at my site, so if anyone needs to burn some DVD's I can help out in the evenings.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Is anybody getting excited yet? I am so looking forward to meeting you in Lake Louise and shooting the bull! LOL :D

There will be some great shots to be had and I have some further ideas to discuss with you when we get there.

So don't forget, the car with the orange traffic cone on the roof is the meeting place, and I will try to get to the EAST end of the parking lot.

Also I have spent the last week getting times for the best light at these sights listed, now the only thing that might interfere is the weather!

And Big Mike, the first beer is on you :cheers: , seeing as this was your idea! :D

I will see you all there! Take care!

I think we will be going as a group, as well we will not be going that deep into the back country, I do not think we will be needing Bear Spray, but bug spray is a must. Don't waste money on bear spray, you will not need it.

If you have some, great, bring it. But don't go out and buy some.:D

Fair enough SpeedTrap! but theres allways one that wanders from the group, and its usually me:blushing:

What’s the deal with bear spray/mace? Seem every time I have driven over the border I’m asked if I have bear mace.

What’s the deal with bear spray/mace? Seem every time I have driven over the border I’m asked if I have bear mace.
Maybe it's a controlled substance when crossing borders...:scratch:

Bears are just one of those things that scare a lot of people...the chances of actually coming into close contact with one, while on a main trail or in a touristy area...is pretty rare. That's not to say it doesn't happen...it does but not all the time.

I've heard that if a bear is really angry, the spray won't really stop it anyway...just like pepper spray won't always stop a person if they are aggressive enough.

The best thing to have with you is common sense.

You can get 'bear bells'...which you wear and it just alerts any bears that you are coming...so that you don't surprise it. In most cases, the bears don't want to meet you...so they will skedaddle when they see/hear/smell you coming.

Is anybody getting excited yet? I am so looking forward to meeting you in Lake Louise and shooting the bull! LOL
I'm very excited. Besides people on the forums...I don't know more than a couple people who could tell you what F-Stop means...it will be great fun to be in the company of other photographers.

Also I have spent the last week getting times for the best light at these sights listed,
That's great.
now the only thing that might interfere is the weather!
Yup...be sure to bring rain gear and something to cover your camera gear, so that we can still shoot in light to moderate rain. Here's a tip: If you have an old rain coat, cut the sleeve off and then use it as a camera/lens cover.

And Big Mike, the first beer is on you , seeing as this was your idea!
Sure. Although don't expect a pint from a pub...how about a beer from a cooler while sitting around a camp fire?

Maybe these will get you excited!

5D-01-07-2007--041a.jpg

5D-01-07-2007--075.jpg

Canon-23-07-2006-064.jpg

Canon-09-07-2006-018_edited.jpg

20D-01-07-2007--002.jpg

These are just a few of the sights that you will be experiencing, so, BE THERE! :thumbup:

You can get 'bear bells'...which you wear and it just alerts any bears that you are coming...so that you don't surprise it. In most cases, the bears don't want to meet you...so they will skedaddle when they see/hear/smell you coming.

Well I heard they real function was to alert the old blind bears so they could find you. :lol:

Anyways, I have still done no prep, but I am quite certain I will be able to find a place (perhaps for the cost of 5 days work, doh) and I am quite looking forward to it - especially with the added images!

Roy superb shots ,,as usual. Besides looking foward to meeting you all, I'm realy looking foward to revisiting these areas with some decent glass,,, and hopefully some decent weather! I'm borrowing some camping gear,I havn't slept under canvas for years, ( i consider "slow room service " camping now!)
I have a trail guide for some easy trails in Banff, I will bring, in case anyone feels energetic wendsay afternoon. But chances are after a dip in the hot springs ,,,we will all be out like cheap litebulbs!
I will also bring bird, mushroom, animal ,and plant field guides for referance. We will be doing quite a lot of roadside shots I;m sure, so its a good idea to wear a bright shirt, I have a signal vest,,yea may look nerdy, but better safe than sorry.
If you have a first aid kit ,bring it along, bring some blister bandages,,, and if your planing on getting new footwear,,, do it now and wear them in,,trust me on that one.
So if anyone needs picking up at the airport, drop me a note.
p.s Monday we go to lake Mini****a,, there is a 90 minute boat ride there covering the whole lake ,(27km I think it is).
So have we covered all the basis?,,anyone want some last minute input?
speak now!
see you soon ,,( Oh BTW Mike, whats an f,stop?)

( Oh BTW Mike, whats an f,stop?)
It's when you are sending someone a telegram, in response to a telegram asking what your favorite letter of the alphabet is. :er:

I really hope the weather up there is a tad cooler than what we've been having here lately. The heat has been oppressive, the last week or so.

Northwest messed-up my original perfect flight for Thursday afternoon that I booked, not wanting to take 3 planes and arrive at midnight. I had them change the trip to Friday. Not sure if that was a good move. So depending on when I hit the road, I may miss Saturday morning but should be there my noon for lunch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back