Rodinal + Tri-X 400 shot at 200 standard development times

Heer is the 1 hour in the fridge with 1+100 rodinal, you will get smoother shots on MF

Scan-130908-0009-XL.jpg

@Derrel - thanks for the feedback. My current work is mostly landscape so maybe you are right the grain might fight the finer details at larger print sizes making them too obtrusive. I definitely like the "this was shot on film" look, but I like to maintain the same process through my different projects so If I start developing in Rodinal I will finish with Rodinal and that may not be the right outcome for this particular set of printe.

Stand developing is something I am not ready to undertake. It takes a lot of fine tuning to get spot on per everyone's different needs. I prefer contrast and sharpness at the cost of grain. And most importantly I am too impatient to sit with film in a canister for an hour, it would drive me bonkers.

This is also very old TriX in rodinal over agitated, i love the grain in this one :wink:

img158best-XL.jpg

What about 777 makes it impractical or prohibitive for us mere mortals? I am jesting hope that didn't sound too dry.

I would like to experiment with this 777 but know nothing about it and apparently it was hard to get a hold off until recently, also haven't been able to find a proper developing time chart for it.
Did you read this ?
777 Fine Grain Developer
You need at least a gallon of this stuff, you need to control the temperature very well, it works best above 20 C (glycine likes heat), you need to make own time charts (extensive experimentation), there are no "factory standards", you need to experiment with agitation. Plus to keep it working well you will need to develop a lot. Every day at least few rolls. For regular photographer that's too much to control. Maybe only Gary is developing weekly enough to justify it's use. :lol:

Heer is the 1 hour in the fridge with 1+100 rodinal, you will get smoother shots on MF

Scan-130908-0009-XL.jpg

@Derrel - thanks for the feedback. My current work is mostly landscape so maybe you are right the grain might fight the finer details at larger print sizes making them too obtrusive. I definitely like the "this was shot on film" look, but I like to maintain the same process through my different projects so If I start developing in Rodinal I will finish with Rodinal and that may not be the right outcome for this particular set of printe.

Stand developing is something I am not ready to undertake. It takes a lot of fine tuning to get spot on per everyone's different needs. I prefer contrast and sharpness at the cost of grain. And most importantly I am too impatient to sit with film in a canister for an hour, it would drive me bonkers.

This is also very old TriX in rodinal over agitated, i love the grain in this one :wink:

img158best-XL.jpg

Ok, that final shot is the moneymaker here GSGARY. The grain adds something intangible to that image.

I have taken a liking to Rodinal in that it was something that Cartier-Bresson used
Not sure if HCB used Rodinal but I know that the "big secret" of Magnum group was a use of Panthermic 777
777 Fine Grain Developer
777 is something you can get here:
Photographers' Formulary Inc.
but it is not for an amateur with occasional film development. Nevertheless you might brows this website. Lots of quality stuff. I would suggest this:
Photographers' Formulary Inc.
Henri Cartier-Bresson never developed his own film - he hated that part of it.

Gary, have you ever shot in-date film? :lol:

Henri Cartier-Bresson never developed his own film - he hated that part of it.

Gary, have you ever shot in-date film? :lol:

Yes all my film is in date now, Agfa APX and HP5 and got some orwo UN54

I was beginning to wonder.

Just messing with you, BTW. I personally only shoot expired film accidentally, but I know a lot of people love the look, and I'm not going to knock it. It does have it's place. Not for every day though, IMO.

I was beginning to wonder.

Just messing with you, BTW. I personally only shoot expired film accidentally, but I know a lot of people love the look, and I'm not going to knock it. It does have it's place. Not for every day though, IMO.

If im given a bag with 20 rolls i got to shoot it

Well, throwing it away would be unforgivable - so, yeah - shoot it and see if you can make it work.

Nobody gives me bags of old film, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back