Rookie Lookin For Some C&C

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I just made the step up from a P&S last week, and went with a D5000. Ive been able to get comfortable with the controls and everything this week, now its time to start workin on the quality of my photos. Here are 3 to start with, and get some input on so I can go out and take more.

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

The third one isnt my favorite, but Id like tips on how to improve what I think is my lowest quality photo, so even it can be better. Also, I just realized that all three are along the same lines (large aperture), so Ill hafta work on changin that up. Thanks.

#2 and #3 are really interesting in my oppinion. They look like snapshots, but in a nice way. They make you think about the story around it IMO.

Actually, I like #3 the least. It looks a little boring, it's just a rose on a towel. Nonetheless the colours are really nice in all of these.

#3 Could be made better with a different background I think. The different color in the top left corner is distracting. Do the same thing, but with white paper surrounding it. I've done it and it works pretty well. No need for a fancy studio. A few sheets of white 8 1/2 x 11 paper work great. Cover the inside of a cardboard box or something with white paper and light it up and shoot. You could also tighten up the shot.

was it a white towel?
if so, you may want to adjust your WB.

looks like the main subject of #1 got blown out.
did you expose for that area?

#2 is a nice experiment in DOF.

keep shooting! :D

For photo #1, try buying a ttyl cord and a hot shoe flash (sb 600, or similar). The problem is that the carb (pretty sure that's a carb) is a little hot while the background is dark. Try bouncing the flash or using a diffuser. If you can't afford an off camera flash yet, try turning off your flash and using some work lights ($15) to light your photos. They aren't the best, but it's good practice before you spend the $$$.

For photo 2 & 3, I'd say get in way closer. For the boot I'm thinking have the logo fill most of the photo, shoot it from an angle, not straight on. Same with the rose, get in much closer so that it fills most of the frame.

I noticed you are using a towel as a background. Instead of getting seamless paper, try going to the bargain shop and getting a piece of white foam board. It's only a few $ and will give you a nice even background.

Thanks for the tips! In the first pic, the problem is a florecent (SP?) light that was behind me was reflecting off the face of the aluminum. Luckily I got pictures with and without the light on.

Thanks again for the tips everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back