Rookie Photo shoot Questions

Lol you guys are too much.

I was looking on ebay and i wanted to know are any of these sets/kits good to buy for just starting out?

Complete Photo Strobe Flash Light 20' x 10' Backgrounds Kit Soft Box 3 Umbrellas | eBay

NEW Reflector Backdrops w/ 540W Complete Photography Flash Strobe Lighting Kit | eBay

Stay away from ebay for "new" kits. Seriously. I made the mistake of buying my first kit off ebay for really cheap. Both the light stands broke within 6 months, the umbrellas were piss quality and started ripping from the first time I opened them. I sucked it up and made do with it but you really do get what you pay for.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This about the minimum you would need;

Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case.

Speedrings for different brands of softbox are available from Adorama.com

This is a somewhat better kit, and it's on sale: Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit This kit uses Elinchrom style speedrings.

With any strobe light you want to be sure the strobe and modeling light bulbs are user replaceable. Some have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be replaced.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It might sound a little harsh, but this is the advice that has been given time and time again around the forum;

If you have to ask, you're not ready yet.

This is very good advice, especially if you're new to photography.
Photo shoots are a sort of objective you work to.

As my mother always said,
You can't spawn Ultralisks without first evolving your Lair into an Infestation pit.

Work on getting there, start posting pics of what you have and can do, we will then critique and usher you into the right direction :)

Most reactions

Back