Rude people!

Was this in the US?

I tried to take a photo of an old woman selling flowers on the street in Mexico City (in the early 80's) and she had a fit. She started throwing water at me and chasing after me. She ever tried to take my camera.

I found out later that they believe evil spirits come out of the camera.

Who knew? I sure didn't. :(

Wow! Where did that exactly happen? I live in Mexico City and that has never happened to me before. Sometimes rural people have that kind of thoughts not everbody :lmao:

the second I took a candid shot and the man went psycho about it "You dont just take pictures of people without their permission you need to learn some manners missy.. etc etc continue this on for another five minutes

yeah i didnt want your ugly mug on there anyway :grumpy:

Maybe he was there with his girlfriend when he should of been home with the wife and kids.:D

Hey switch if you had big balls, and I mean REALLY big, like cancerous, you should have turned around and said if you don't let me photograph you I'll shoot you. And when he says prove it take a picture of him.

But seriously I wouldn't even attempt that in Australia unless I was in a reasonably crowded place let alone the land of the psychos.

Yes, taking photos of people is really tricky business. I've had a real hard time. I've resorted to actually paying people. Yes, I have a sign that says, "I will give you $1.00 if I can take your picture." Even then, people, don't like to be bothered or they think your trying to scam them. And, I don't blame them because people on the street are often up to no good.
But, by using the sign, if I can get their attention, then they make the decision and there is agreement. This protects me legally as well. By accepting the $1.00, they are acknowledging agreement (although I don't get a receipt).

Another thing...what do you think the Paparazzi deal with on a regular basis. They get chased, beat and get their camera's smashed or worse.
But, then they should know the game and they are usually making money (if they are any good).

And, yes, using the sign, I'm not getting the candid photo. Getting the candid photo is a different game. I find having a camera in which I am looking down (twin lens reflex or just top view finder) holding it at waiste level, I can be more "incognito."

I have yet to get into the telephoto thing.

Sorry, but one more thing. With the whole national fear of terrorism and such, you can get confronted for many reasons. For example, if your taking a picture of a bridge, someone may think you are planning to commit a terroristic act. Start taking picture in public and your going to get attention, depending on where you are.

I tried to take a photo of an old woman selling flowers on the street in Mexico City (in the early 80's) and she had a fit. She started throwing water at me and chasing after me. She ever tried to take my camera.

I found out later that they believe evil spirits come out of the camera.

Who knew? I sure didn't. :(

I'd say the lesson here is when taking pics in a culture unfamiliar to yourself, learn the culture a bit before you jump right in. It's like going into a 3rd world country and taking pics of the poor areas. Artistically there might be good shots there but you're going to offend A LOT of people.

Also you have to consider that many people, someone walking around with a camera taking "candids" of strangers is truly the rude person. Like Iron Flatline said... if you're into this type of photography you should anticipate these issues.

In some places around here you can get slapped or get your ass kicked or your camera destroyed, well specially if this person has some sort of a problem.

In a way I don't blame in one who reacts defensively in a bad way, they walk on the street and they are not modeling, I get annoyed when someone keeps staring at me, or track my moves, or anything that belongs to me. It's even worse, having someone pointing his camera at you, moreover asking you to pose, or to make your dog pose, why can't you just leave me alone?

If you have a shot, take it, better unnoticed and don't spoil your moment, if you wanna shoot strangers.

In some parts here, people will volunteer even if you don't want to.

It's a matter of privacy, atittude towards strangers, and social measures. But don't call them rude, no matter how they react, because they are right about reacting negatively, sometimes not in a proper manner, but you never know what kinda creeps are out there.

In some places around here you can get slapped or get your ass kicked or your camera destroyed, well specially if this person has some sort of a problem.

In a way I don't blame in one who reacts defensively in a bad way, they walk on the street and they are not modeling, I get annoyed when someone keeps staring at me, or track my moves, or anything that belongs to me. It's even worse, having someone pointing his camera at you, moreover asking you to pose, or to make your dog pose, why can't you just leave me alone?

If you have a shot, take it, better unnoticed and don't spoil your moment, if you wanna shoot strangers.

In some parts here, people will volunteer even if you don't want to.

It's a matter of privacy, atittude towards strangers, and social measures. But don't call them rude, no matter how they react, because they are right about reacting negatively, sometimes not in a proper manner, but you never know what kinda creeps are out there.

I agree with you, but I don't think just because of privacy it give them the right to act rudely towards you. It is just as easy to nicely tell someone no, than to tell them to f off and be a (insert 4 letter word here) to you. Now if you keep bothering them, than they can act how they want, now you are being insensitive. The world would be a better place if people were just nicer to each other and didn't act like they had a chip on their shoulder all the time.

I am not pro being rude, but when people act defensively, it could be just because that's how they are, or because maybe something has happened and they have fear. It's not simple to analyze someone's atittude towards such an intervention. Someone may have had an incident before, some may freak, and they will not tell you that, and they will not keep in mind you donno that. You are just one of those annoying people.

And it depends on the person. An old woman grabbed a friend of mine(who was taking pictures of building, because she works as an architect), slapped her, and kept scolding her, because some kid told her she was getting photographed, it was a poor old woman, she got offended, what would you expect?

The neighbors told the woman who is my friend, and she was so sorry and apologized, invited my friend for dinner in her modest house that was about to fall(and that's why my friend was there).

As for myself, people almost broke my camera into pieces, as a hassle for a single woman on the street and sometimes as a self defense(a girl with her boyfriend for ex. who didn't wanna be caught).

And I won't blame them.

You don't have to tell me about people's past experiences, I am a clinical psychologist, and know all about that. I just don't agree with people being so damn cruel to each other. I have visited many countries, and most of them people were really cool (a lot cooler than in my own), which leads me to belive that it can be done, people can be polite and nice about having or not having thier picture taken.

I don't blame people for acting defensively, but I do blame them for hitting or otherwise damaging someone elses hard earned equipment for nothing more than being OVERLY defensive.

:)

You are right there is no excuse for being overly rude, like that old woman example, she was not being rude, she was deeply offended, her poverty is not something to be modeled and exposed...But if someone else did that, it could be more than cruel. Depends...

Maybe the person thinks that the photographer is being rude by intruding on their privacy - and their response is to that.

You are right there is no excuse for being overly rude, like that old woman example, she was not being rude, she was deeply offended, her poverty is not something to be modeled and exposed...But if someone else did that, it could be more than cruel. Depends...

I agee. It depends a lot on the situation, but it seems like people are just too easily offended these days.

I was recently at a festival in town and I saw a woman walking a beautiful border collie. I smiled and asked if she would mind if I took a picture of her dog. She scowled at me, turned around, yanked the dog by the leash and walked away!

Have you ever had something like that happen?

I wouldn't consider scowling rude.
If she ahd told you to stick your camera somewhere uncomfortable that might be rude. Who knows whats going on in her life? Maybe her husband just died or something. Be glad that she kept quiet and walked away and get over it. Just as you have the right to ask her if it is ok to photograph her she has the right to refuse.
Don't ask if you aren't prepared to be refused permission.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back