Rule concerning social networking links

As long as they have big watermarks on their FB pics and a cool "suchandsuchprophotograghy" name I think they should be exempt and protected from any and all bashings.

As mods/admin of the site we also have to take the line of do we want "bashings" as part of the social structure of the site we are aiming to manage. I certainly do not want to see the forums, or a segment of them, slip into the practice of hunting down and bashing on random people around the world just because it can be done.

Is telling the truth, and offering good advice bashing? (even if the advice is ignored?)

I love drama as much as the next guy, but I can't help feel a little sorry for people when they are targeted as everything terrible and wrong with amateur photographers. I've seen this happen a couple fo times, where someone will kind of call out some specific person's facebook, and next thing you know the whole forum ends up descending on that person.

What is the purpose exactly of pointing out bad photographers? They almost all make the same exact mistakes, I think we can pretty much appreciate a bad photographer when someone has an issue with one. We don't really need examples.

Now I know, if you don't want the public commenting on your stuff you shouldn't have a public facebook page. I appreciate that completely. But does this forum really need to be the conduit to track down and target people like this? If you want to troll people's facebook pages, there's plenty of ways to find bad photographers. TPF should be about supporting emerging photographers hone their skills.

So I'd propose a suggestion that links to personal websites, especially social media websites should not be permitted if the context is negative or critical. I think it's fine to point to photographers we respect and admire, but I don't see the point of calling out individuals as being unskilled. Besides, there are plenty of examples at You are Not a Photographer for that.

See... I don't think it should be made an official rule... because I can see some posts landing in a "gray area" kind of... thing... I dunno.

I'm not much for official censorship, :lol:

BUT I DO agree that people need to be responsible and respectful and be accountable for their own actions and not act like jackasses. (This is not pointed at any one person in particular... this is just a general statement, as I too, have seen this happen multiple times).

Even this is subjective... different people feel differently about different things. The simple truth offends some people, and some people can't see the truth if it pokes them in the eye. What is concise and accurate to one, may be taken as a scathing comment by another..... how do you suggest we deal with that? Go all PC... and have nothing but flowers, butterflies and rainbows? Bah Humbug to that! ;)

See again, this isn't about if she "got what was coming to her" but rather that a third party got involved. Obviously site moderators can't and shouldn't act on what was done on facebook. And frankly, I don't really care, either. But I do mind people kind of calling out individuals as examples of "bad photography" - what's the possible point for this?

If you wanted to "teach this person a lesson" nothing is stopping you from tracking her down yourself. But you have a hell of a lot of people out there to track down.

I am of the opinion that if you are just messing around with photos for fun, no big deal. When you start charging people money and touting yourself as professional, game on.

should we be out there tracking these people down? No, probably not.

BULLSEYE! You accept money... you are open for comment.... IMO

Even this is subjective... different people feel differently about different things. The simple truth offends some people, and some people can't see the truth if it pokes them in the eye. What is concise and accurate to one, may be taken as a scathing comment by another..... how do you suggest we deal with that? Go all PC... and have nothing but flowers, butterflies and rainbows? Bah Humbug to that! ;)

But that's exactly what I'm saying... there's so much grey area that it'd be really hard to censor anything accurately.

Exactly... I was reinforcing your point in a way that you may have perceived as a attack, or denial of your statement. Ain't words fun? ;)

I didn't perceive it as either really. :lol: But yes words are fun. :biggrin:

As long as they have big watermarks on their FB pics and a cool "suchandsuchprophotograghy" name I think they should be exempt and protected from any and all bashings.

As mods/admin of the site we also have to take the line of do we want "bashings" as part of the social structure of the site we are aiming to manage. I certainly do not want to see the forums, or a segment of them, slip into the practice of hunting down and bashing on random people around the world just because it can be done.

Is telling the truth, and offering good advice bashing? (even if the advice is ignored?)

Is commenting on someone else's photography in an insulting nature behind their back, but also on a public forum really offering good advice? Is it offering good advice and telling the truth to group up and then target that person on social media sites? I think such, when I was at school, would get counted as bullying the person.

See MY issue with what happened was that the attacked didn't offer her images up for critique. SOMEONE ELSE offered up her images for critique FOR her, and thusly she was completely blind-sided.

Look, I troll FB pages ALL THE TIME. I'm part of SEVERAL FB groups that basically do the trolling FOR me, hahaha... I can't TELL you just how many half naked (or fully naked) chicks I saw in my newsfeed today that were wrapped in Christmas lights and garland with candy canes sticking out of varying orifices... and you better BELIEVE I made freakin fun of EVERY. SINGLE. ONE of those, awful, AWFULLY executed creations... but I didn't post it publicly here to be made fun of. I, like a responsible adult, sent them in a PM to a photographer friend of mine from a different state so that we could laugh and cringe virtually together. :lmao:

I think it would have been entirely different if the person on the receiving end of the attack had offered herself up... but she didn't. At least not on THIS forum. And that's sort of... I dunno... wrong, in my mind. ::shrugs::

See... I don't think it should be made an official rule... because I can see some posts landing in a "gray area" kind of... thing... I dunno.

I'm not much for official censorship, :lol:

BUT I DO agree that people need to be responsible and respectful and be accountable for their own actions and not act like jackasses. (This is not pointed at any one person in particular... this is just a general statement, as I too, have seen this happen multiple times).

See again, this isn't about if she "got what was coming to her" but rather that a third party got involved. Obviously site moderators can't and shouldn't act on what was done on facebook. And frankly, I don't really care, either. But I do mind people kind of calling out individuals as examples of "bad photography" - what's the possible point for this?

Examples of "What Not To Do?" lol! Who can be the social conscience for anyone else? Many have different beliefs, different politics, different lifestyles.... it is not for any one person to make a decision as to what is wrong or right....

I'm still baffled that the locked thread revealed people crying from critique.

Is commenting on someone else's photography in an insulting nature behind their back, but also on a public forum really offering good advice? Is it offering good advice and telling the truth to group up and then target that person on social media sites? I think such, when I was at school, would get counted as bullying the person.

It is a public forum! It is kind of like the copyright thing... if you don't want it stolen, don't post it! If you don't want comments (negative or otherwise), don't put it in a public forum.....

See MY issue with what happened was that the attacked didn't offer her images up for critique. SOMEONE ELSE offered up her images for critique FOR her, and thusly she was completely blind-sided.

Look, I troll FB pages ALL THE TIME. I'm part of SEVERAL FB groups that basically do the trolling FOR me, hahaha... I can't TELL you just how many half naked (or fully naked) chicks I saw in my newsfeed today that were wrapped in Christmas lights and garland with candy canes sticking out of varying orifices... and you better BELIEVE I made freakin fun of EVERY. SINGLE. ONE of those, awful, AWFULLY executed creations... but I didn't post it publicly here to be made fun of. I, like a responsible adult, sent them in a PM to a photographer friend of mine from a different state so that we could laugh and cringe virtually together. :lmao:

I think it would have been entirely different if the person on the receiving end of the attack had offered herself up... but she didn't. At least not on THIS forum. And that's sort of... I dunno... wrong, in my mind. ::shrugs::

This. 100% There are other sites that do the trolling. There's no reason for it to be brought here.

I think you should post links to said posts
bigthumb.gif

"I am only an amateur so I don't charge much" line, they deserve what they get.

I think that discussion is for facebook, not here, at least not until she posts something of her own. It's kind of beside the point.

Really? Even though we get a lot of that here too?

But that isn't really the point of this thread. I was very specific in what I was calling for - a guideline or rule that prevents people from calling out random "bad photographers".

I personally don't care if you troll around looking for them, I just don't think this is the purpose of this site and I don't know what advantage there would be in a thread that specifically does that.

I think you should post links to said posts
bigthumb.gif

No, it's too painful to look at. Trust me.

YOU'LL be crying then. :lol:

If it is posted on a public forum.. it is public information. So are we being told that we can't post publicly available information on the forum? Wow... I hear Jackboots around the corner... run for your lives.... big brother is coming..... ;)

Most reactions

Back