Rule of Thirds

HailttRedskins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read into it a bit, and have seen about 5 examples, I was wondering if someone could post up a couple that they have taken using the Rule of Thirds so I have a better feel.

Here you go...

2219047097_2464a1a3f8.jpg

2229823445_bb83fde52f.jpg

A couple other examples:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/2352229020_6dd58a21b1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2220/2338463883_817ecd4ce3.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2275994622_a0714170cb.jpg

Now remember... all rules are made to be broken now and then! ;) :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2253/2358495559_3112cb3b53.jpg

Well, I have two photographer friends, both are excellent in what they do, I showed them both this image, the one said it is, the other said it is somewhat, could you let me know what you think.

Thanks

m120js9.jpg

2384874403_97a4a5d00a.jpg

I don't know about your photographer friends, or if they even know what they are talking about, but if you divide your picture into approximate 3rds, its very clear it is NOT following the rule of 3rds.

Doesn't mean its a bad pic. Just means your subject is in the center, not in the other sectors identified as a line that intersects a sector in the thirds. Its following the rule when you place the center of your subject on any of the points where the lines intersect. Thats all!

This is closer to following the rule of thirds:
2384885631_6c924d0e86.jpg
2384895491_1de4b92b72_m.jpg

Does it make sense now? :D

Think of the rule of thirds like a rule in the Matrix... Sometimes it can be bent, sometimes it can be broken... It just depends on your subject and depends on what works... For the most part, the rule of thirds will be your best bet... But every so often, you'll see a subject and frame a shot, where you are better off not using the rule of thirds... Of course, I'm an amateur, and that's just my opinion...

Oh okay, and I see it a little better now.

I have photoshop, is there some kind of tutorial I can have to create a rule of thirds line graph, or whatever it is called exactly, that way I can use it a fair amount.

So basically I don't want the object in the middle box, or at least not the majority of it?

Jerry while your information is correct, it's a bit disconcerting that your image examples do not show the thirds lines correctly.

Jerry while your information is correct, it's a bit disconcerting that your image examples do not show the thirds lines correctly.

I know Matt, those were literally hand drawn in like 3 seconds flat. It was for example purposes only... they did their job. ;)

You will have to excuse my lack of precision... lol. :D

I'm on VADriven and NovaStreetForums

-EDIT-

On VADriven I'm Mr. Photography - I just joined there
NSF I'm HailttRedskins - Forum is dead for the most part

I'm on VADriven and NovaStreetForums

-EDIT-

On VADriven I'm Mr. Photography - I just joined there
NSF I'm HailttRedskins - Forum is dead for the most part

Cool i'm on both myself, but NSF never has anything going on.
VaDriven - Acuratuner00

Maybe i'll see you around sometime. :cheers:

I have photoshop, is there some kind of tutorial I can have to create a rule of thirds line graph, or whatever it is called exactly, that way I can use it a fair amount.

some DSLR's have a compositional grid feature that can be turned on. but you have the XTi, like me, and I don't think our cameras have that feature.

but you could also make your own rule of thirds grid on your LCD monitor if you have one of those transparent plastic covers. just use a sharpie or something.

but really, just try to imagine the grid everytime you look in the viewfinder. the more you keep it in mind, the better your compositions will be :]

Unreal Tuner... what is wrong with using your eyes and approximating? This is not an exacting science (like tuning a car would be, something I am heavy into as well), but an art or self-expression.

Focus on the object (press shutter half way down), then recompose it into one of the corners, and press the shutter down the rest of the way.

It's that easy.

Now, having said that, on the Nikon D200s, you can activate those lines, and I do have them turned on... however, I do NOT use them for making or breaking the rule of thirds... but for adjusting my horizon. I have a tendancy of being 2-3 degrees downwards on the right. This helps keep my horizons level.

Maybe we will, I go out to Dulles a lot on Friday Nights, seems to be where the nicer cars show up.

As far as the Rule of Thirds, I will try to memorize it, my only problem is I still don't understand it completely, but as I said, the more I try, I'm sure I'll get it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back