Rumor: New Canon "pro" Mirrorless next year ?

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by Solarflare, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

2. DB_Cro

DB_Cro No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, can't be a pro with an APS-C camera..
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I know a guy who does weddings with a Canon 40d, so he makes money from his photography, does this not make his 40d a pro camera by very definition :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't understand the idea that pro photographers need 'full frame'.
    As a child I attended several advertising photo shoots (my father was the art director) For studio work none of the Pros would use anything less than medium format, but when it came to travel brochures a 35mm SLR was often the choice.

The results acheivable today with APSC are frequently every bit as good as the 35mm shots or even the medium format results, indeed this is also the case with 4/3 sensors. Last year one of the photographers I know won a national competion with a micro 4/3 image which would have been competting against full frame images.

The ideal sensor size will depend on the subject & output requirements. Full frame has it's place but in most cases there is another option that has significant advantages. Medium format typically has more colour depth , dynmaic range, control of DOF... Micro 4/3 is considerably more portable, and less intrusive.

A pro needs a rugged reliable camera the ideal size of the sensor will like the focal length & aperuture depend on what he's shooting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DB_Cro

Photos OK to edit
    For the kind of PRO work that I do, I can get better results from a 7D apsc then 6D.
    Just saying.

6. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    inb4 focal length equivalent discussion.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  8. DB_Cro

Photos OK to edit
    LMAO

9. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    Because the debate about what PRO is, is still a debate for some. Why? I don't know, but whatever. Maybe PRO means a higher price tag. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

I let my dog use a 7D as a chew toy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I thought this bullet point was interesting in the rumored Canon mirrorless, "Wider support for the EF lens family". Not sure what the heck that means, but it might be very important.

Sony has gone full frame with its mirrorless. For people photography professionals, full frame makes much more sense than APS-C does, at least for Canon and Nikon owners. The standard "pro lenses" are all designed for use on FX in Nikon, or FF in Canon. The 70-200 f/2.8, the 24-70mm f/2.8, the 16-35 f/2.8, all three of those Canon L-series lenses were designed for use on FF. Same with their 35mm f/1.4, and their 85mm lenses, same with the 24-105-L. The vast majority of Canon's "good lenses" were ALL designed for use on FF cameras. The Canon EF-S lenses are useless junk on their full-frame cameras...those EF-S lenses will not even MOUNT on anything but APS-C cameras! Canon has a very clear, obvious differentiation between its consumer gear, and its "pro" gear. The L-series was designed for FF bodies. The Canon "pro" lenses are expensive, and many hobbyists simply can not afford more than one of those lenses, whereas the typical professional user very often is a shooter who happens to own two, or three, or even four or five, Canon L-series lenses.

Of course, if this new camera is an M-series model, it would have its own lens mount (right?). But then again--what about that "wider support for EF lens family" bullet point? This rumor does not seem very solid to me. The reporting of this sounds very sketchy. There are some things that just do not sound legit. But the idea that Canon has a mirrorless body in development? SURE THEY DO!!! The M-series seems like a refresh could be helpful. So far, the Canon M series mirrorless has been a big, fat FLOP in North America, and a number of pieces of the system have not even been officially imported into North America: the Canon M system is probably the LEAST talked-about mirrorless of all; Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, hell even Samsung, all of those get more mentions. Nikon's CX system is pretty much dead on the vine.

I personally think Canon realizes that the all-new M-series is not fertile ground. I keep going back to the "wider support for the EF lens family" bullet point. Not the EF-S family...but the EF lens family. I really wonder what that might mean.

• Like Like x 1
  12. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

If they come out with a "pro" level mirrorless that won't work with L series lenses they might as well just light all their R&D money on fire.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1