Rupert Murdoch Takes Over National Geographic, Then Lays Off Award-Winning Staff

I must admit that whilst the magazine is always top rate the Nat Geo Tv that I've seen has always been very substandard in content. Always seeming to be designed by the person who really believes that TV should aim at the lowest IQ possible for its presentations.

Sadly these days money talks and downsizing is something I'm seeing everywhere. Which makes sense as most companies grew up in times of more affluence and now times are harder they are forced to downsize. With advertising also being almost a lifeblood of many publications and internet websites things are getting lighter in content and heavier in adverts. Heck some magazines in the UK are almost half adverts.

Nat Geo doesn't sound like the sort of thing that will thrive under Murdock unless "he" and his industry keeps it hands off. That said chances are they either got offered so much money that they could not resist or were in hard times and needed a bail-out (companies and indeed individuals are very good at hiding such information from general knowledge so it can be surprising when we assume they are doing well and suddenly it turns out - no - nothey are not doing well)

Another battle lost.

5c1c7a729a9c3626d37ba9b1b884e98d.jpg
I don't get it.

Fox News

Murdock will add lots of T&A and vapid celebrity gossip and the great unwashed will love it. Have you seen the New York Daily News lately?

According to the NG representatives, the takeover is bringing with it a staff reduction of about nine percent, quoted as about 180 people being let go from a staff of 2,000. I dunno...that doesn't seem all that draconian. Still, it doesn't change the fact that Rupert Murdoch the man is slime, and that he has done more to harm American culture than almost any foreigner since Joseph Stalin. For many decades, foreign nationals were barred from owning American media outlets, but one political party back in the 1990's got those long-time prohibitions reversed, and Murdoch and the FOX network were formed, as he bought up many smaller, independent TV and radio outlets across the USA, and brought his insidious views and policies into this country.

Murdock became an American in 1985 forgoing his Australian citizenship. This allowed him to own TV stations. He's one of the few who's brought conservative views to traditional liberal biased media. Conservative viewpoints and policies are not insidious. This country does allow free speech, you know. Should we all think and act alike?

Most reactions

Back