RVA Fashion Show

Duly noted. That said, I stand by the rest of my statement.
I've moved your thread to Just for Fun, where you can avoid having to read any C&C about your set. We try to make it clear in all the Galleries about C&C, so it's not unexpected when you receive it. But as John stated, the Just for Fun gallery is off limits for C&C.

About your other comments: please be aware there is no "tit for tat" rule at TPF. Many posters who receive C&C they do not agree with seem to become motivated to go straight to the reviewer's profile to look for something that can empower them to fire back - however nicely it may be framed as having some equivalency. Please note that, while certainly appreciated and encouraged, no member has to post work here to validate their point(s) of view. Not posting work does not negate photographic knowledge or experience. People may have valid reasons not to want their work online, and TPF does not second guess or judge that call.

If you personally don't want to hear from people who choose not to post their work for you to critique in turn - fair enough. You might want to make that clear to everyone when posting in one of the Galleries that allows C&C.

Duly noted. That said, I stand by the rest of my statement.
I've moved your thread to Just for Fun, where you can avoid having to read any C&C about your set. We try to make it clear in all the Galleries about C&C, so it's not unexpected when you receive it. But as John stated, the Just for Fun gallery is off limits for C&C.

About your other comments: please be aware there is no "tit for tat" rule at TPF. Many posters who receive C&C they do not agree with seem to become motivated to go straight to the reviewer's profile to look for something that can empower them to fire back - however nicely it may be framed as having some equivalency. Please note that, while certainly appreciated and encouraged, no member has to post work here to validate their point(s) of view. Not posting work does not negate photographic knowledge or experience. People may have valid reasons not to want their work online, and TPF does not second guess or judge that call.

If you personally don't want to hear from people who choose not to post their work for you to critique in turn - fair enough. You might want to make that clear to everyone when posting in one of the Galleries that allows C&C.

I think you misunderstand my intentions, but I can see why it may come across that way. And thank you for moving my post. I'll be sure to use this forum when not seeking critique in the future.

Sure, not posting work doesn't negate knowledge or experience, but it does help justify it. And it doesn't have to be work posted here. But being able to see someone's skill level/experience helps me to know how seriously to consider their critique. I read every comment, and usually try to take away something from every bit of feedback I receive. However, I normally take critique with a grain of salt, and I'm sure you'd agree that you might not take photographic advice from someone with a point and shoot, who does it as a hobby, as seriously as a professional who's had experience in the things you're doing.

Depends on what the feedback is. If a person makes a valid point of critique, I wouldn't care if they never picked up a camera in their life. And professionals can give crappy advice, too.

Depends on what the feedback is. If a person makes a valid point of critique, I wouldn't care if they never picked up a camera in their life. And professionals can give crappy advice, too.

I have seen some "professional work" that serious amateurs would be unhappy with, many of today's "professional photographers" are merely adequate in their genre of choice, and are, dare I say it, pretty bad. This reminds me of the days of dPreview in the 2000-2002 era,more or less; there was a person who gave a lot of tough C&Cs on many peoples' pictures. MANY screamed, "Why don't you post?","Let's see your stuff!"

He and I corresponded a few times. Finally, he gave up, and quit posting, with little fanfare, no flounce away. Around the time he got fed up, he sent me a link to his on-line gallery. Let's say this: he proved his skill in the first few images I saw. It appeared to me that much of his work was six-figure, national beauty ad campaigns. I believe the work was his, based on what we had talked about, and the pictures that were shown. Nt one, but often TWO fantastic shots per setup...I remember this well... almost every time he would give what I considered pretty accurate C&C, the OP would often scream in response," Oh yeah? Back it up. Money talks, BS walks," or similar.

My impression? I had seen exactly NONE of these ad campaigns, but the products were recognizable. Big brands.

I have seen some "professional work" that serious amateurs would be unhappy with, many of today's "professional photographers" are merely adequate in their genre of choice, and are, dare I say it, pretty bad. This reminds me of the days of dPreview in the 2000-2002 era,more or less; there was a person who gave a lot of tough C&Cs on many peoples' pictures. MANY screamed, "Why don't you post?","Let's see your stuff!"

He and I corresponded a few times. Finally, he gave up, and quit posting, with little fanfare, no flounce away. Around the time he got fed up, he sent me a link to his on-line gallery. Let's say this: he proved his skill in the first few images I saw. It appeared to me that much of his work was six-figure, national beauty ad campaigns. I believe the work was his, based on what we had talked about, and the pictures that were shown. Nt one, but often TWO fantastic shots per setup...I remember this well... almost every time he would give what I considered pretty accurate C&C, the OP would often scream in response," Oh yeah? Back it up. Money talks, BS walks," or similar.

My impression? I had seen exactly NONE of these ad campaigns, but the products were recognizable. Big brands.

All good points here, thank you. I'm not so proud that I can't admit when I'm wrong. I do still think seeing their work would lend more credit to their words, but it's ultimately up to me how I receive feedback.

I think it should be viewed on a case by case basis.

I'm glad we could have a cordial and professional discussion about this.

Most reactions

Back