Sad to Ask, But...

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's time to recommend me back to a P&S. I bought my D90 a few months back and instantly was hooked! In the last month or so I have shown little to no interest in Photography. I still LOVE to take pictures, But I am a broke college student that cannot justify having over $2000 worth of photo equipment right now. I have another hobby (Mountain Biking) that is pretty much hogging my wallet and asking for more. I will probably get back into it in the coming years, but just not right now.

With that said, Please recommend me to a P&S that will not entirely let me down. It needs to be portable but have an optical zoom, and HD video is a major plus. Looking to spend about $300 on one.

...I am a broke college student that cannot justify having over $2000 worth of photo equipment right now.

ooo... sorry to hear.

I find campus towns are a GREAT place to shop for higher ticket items... cameras, guitars, etc....

Sorry I don't know enough about P&Ss to make a recommendation.

Good luck.

-Pete

why wouldnt you spend a 100 bucks more and just downgrade to a D40? or buy a D60 body and put one of your lenses on it?

Mountain biking and photography are two very expensive sports, i had to give up mountain biking to pay for more photography.

Aswell as the post above, i have no knowledge on a P&S.

Good luck!

Canon G10? I might buy some of your gear, what do you have?

why wouldnt you spend a 100 bucks more and just downgrade to a D40? or buy a D60 body and put one of your lenses on it

That is an excellent suggestion, However... If I have a DSLR, I will KEEP spending money on it. I need to totally remove it from my life, get a nice P&S and be done with it.

Canon G10? I might buy some of your gear, what do you have?

I havent set anything in stone yet but, here's what I have:

Gripped D90
Nikkor 18-105 Kit lens
Nikkor 1.8 Nifty 50
SB-600
Tamrac Bag (Body, Multiple lenses, Flash, and more)
Nikon Bag (Body and Lens)
Manfrotto Tripod

I'll totally buy your 50 1.8

Just go get some Canon FD equipment and shoot film. Once you've gotten used to a nice DSLR like the D90, you are going to hate what you get from a P&S. You could get a 28mm, 50mm and a 70-210mm plus a nice body for less than your $300 limit if you shop around a bit and watch craigslist. You probably won't spend enough on film and processing in the next 5 years to make that a concern either. Cheapo C-41 film that is processed and scanned by Walmart will yeild better results than MOST point and shoot cameras. It'll also be really hard to get good results shooting your friends on MTB trails with a point and shoot. The shutter lag on those things is terrible.

I know I say this way too much, but film is the way to go if money is a concern up front and you still want quality. Canon FD, Minolta MD, Pentax K and Olympus OM cameras are CHEAP for the quality and very redily available. I wouldn't trade my OM equipment for ANY point and shoot.

That is an excellent suggestion, However... If I have a DSLR, I will KEEP spending money on it. I need to totally remove it from my life, get a nice P&S and be done with it.

It doesn't work that way, the moment it is gone you will regret it. At some time in the future you will buy a replacement costing you even more money.

Keep what you have, the lenses and flash you own will give you better images than any P&S. Just make a pact not to spend any money on the camera for at least one year then go out and use it.

Lot's of good points here! One more thing I didnt really realize is that if I sold it all, I know I would LOSE at least $500 of what I have already spent.

I guess I can just finance the bike stuff and stop eating out or something along those lines.

I am really interested in the grip, how much? Is it thr nikon authentic one?

i've got to agree with mike.. dont sell... you will kick yourself in the ass pretty quick if you do.. even if its 5 years down the road and you want back in, you'll say "CRAP, i should have kept that.."

a bit of self discipline will keep you from spending more money on gear... get rid of your credit cards.. things like that... the key to living life financially stress free, is not spending money you dont have...

Lot's of good points here! One more thing I didnt really realize is that if I sold it all, I know I would LOSE at least $500 of what I have already spent.

I guess I can just finance the bike stuff and stop eating out or something along those lines.

I agree, I also enjoy mountain biking and photography. Recently I have decided to bring my lunch to work and not go out for drinks(some exceptions). But I will save $240 a month on lunch alone, So I can justify new lenses and a new bike.

Just Take a few weeks off drinking out; volunteer to be the DD, have a red bull or a coke and save some cash. Plus you will be surprised how many sober chicks want to talk to you. Really trying to save money works out in the end.

Also how important is mountain biking to you? I only hit the moderate trails around my area. After my initial investment, I only spend a small amounts of money for biking. I know that there are many upgrades depending on the terrain, Just as in photography, I have my basic kit and only add on as needed. I feel that I can balance out the cost pf my hobbies over time. Although mountain biking will never pay for itself financially, It's still worth the money. Photography has so far proven to be the same, but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

-Ryan

Most reactions

Back