Safest storage medium?

I could have sworn I heard "mayonnaise jar" on multiple occasions. Man...I sure miss that show Sparky.

You did. It was a No. 2 mayonnaise jar.

If I shoot 700 frames of landscape shots in a full 12-hour day, there are probably only six that make the cut as portfolio-grade images. That means I could get three days' worth of images (RAW) onto one CD-ROM image.

I don't cull images once they get home. I do delete a lot from the camera but not after they get home. If they get that far they get saved, so in your situation I would have 700 images to write to 19 CD's.

You guys and your CD are high.

I chalk it up to you guys being scared of anything that you can't hold on your hands.

I chalk it up to you guys being scared of anything that you can't hold on your hands.

I make a half-dozen 80x120" glossy prints of every shot I take and store them in 6 locations.

Actually I use a fractally encoded system of microdots tattooed on my junk for the best of my pictures.

I make a half-dozen 40x60 prints of every shot I take and store them in 6 locations.

Do you have them shipped to the four corners of the globe, the exact location only known by a third party who keeps the location in a safety deposit box that only two strangers have the keys for?

I make a half-dozen 40x60 prints of every shot I take and store them in 6 locations.

Do you have them shipped to the four corners of the globe, the exact location only known by a third party who keeps the location in a safety deposit box that only two strangers have the keys for?

No. I have NASA rocket them into space. A near-perfect vacuum at a degree or two above Absolute Zero is the best storage place in the cosmos.

No. I have NASA rocket them into space. A near-perfect vacuum at a degree or two above Absolute Zero is the best storage place in the cosmos.

Still not a safe as cloud storage. ;)

'cause aliens.

5 1/4" floppy disks? Oh, that's right, it would take about 40 of them to store one D800 NEF file... Maybe not. JD

Cloud storage is only as safe as the hardware and the bozos who run it. Sorry I have four rotating sets off hard drives with one always stored off site. I trust no one except myself.

Most reactions

Back