Safety Pin Flower and Butterfly

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One thing I am always fascinated by is multiples of things, looking through a box for something I found a box of safety pins and today I played ;)

I used a mixture of gold and silver pins.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

IMG_1027bw-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

IMG_0964bw-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Double nice - the shot and the construction of the subject. :clap:

What was your background?

Thanks Charlie and Sharon :)

Charlie, bg is my kitchen table, thinking about making it on glass next time so I can change up the bg colour.

Sharon, thanks, originally I made it with two wings on each side but it was really convoluted and way too big so I went with one wing (I suppose that kinda makes it a moth lol) I guess it didn't quite get there if it is still hard to read :( I see it quite clearly but I have stared at it for a long time lol

Maybe try pieces of matboard or construction paper.

Thanks Charlie and Sharon :)

Charlie, bg is my kitchen table, thinking about making it on glass next time so I can change up the bg colour.

Sharon, thanks, originally I made it with two wings on each side but it was really convoluted and way too big so I went with one wing (I suppose that kinda makes it a moth lol) I guess it didn't quite get there if it is still hard to read :( I see it quite clearly but I have stared at it for a long time lol

I see it; I *think*, though I'm not positive, that I would have even "seen" it if you didn't have it in the thread title. But it is not compelling to me in the same way that the flower is. That may just be me, though, who knows? The flower, however, is plenty interesting and compelling.

Maybe compelling isn't even the right word. Hard to put it INTO words. Best I can say, I feel like my brain DOES have to work a little harder to really "get" the butterfly.

This is great! What an idea, well executed. I saw the butterfly pretty quick. :) neat!

Sharon, I think the reason you don't recognize the butterfly might be that it's a northern moose-mane butterfly, which are not found anywhere near Tennessee. ;)

Thanks all!
Charlie, great idea, I'll see what I have laying around, I already have an idea of what else to build these on that may be cool, if it works out I'll share! You kill me lmao! Northern Moose-mane moth roflmao! Perfect!
Sharon, thanks Hon :) I'm thinking it's because it's not quite as "organized" as the flower is, great input for me to carry forward because I'm TOTALLY going to do more of these!
Thanks Jazzie! :)

Okay, I finally figured it out. It's not at all that I don't "see" the butterfly, fairly quickly--but as you say, Judi, it's not as "organized." And more than that, it is--to my mind, at least--too small of a scale.
The flower is on a large enough scale that I can really "see" detail in it. I "see" the flower, and THEN I see that it's composed of safety pins. With the butterfly, I see immediately that it's safety pins, and oh look, you can make a butterfly shape out of it. Does that make sense?

I could see this being a terrific series--both the photos AND the art itself. And I think doing a butterfly on a larger scale could be pretty incredible.

Thanks SO much Sharon! Great great great input! I'm so totally going to play with these lots more and I will put your thoughts into my next try at it :)

Ok I put that post ^^ through google translate and it came up with....

All corny tomorrow 30 hens put together next photograph . But the author of this photo even close will not stand

Is that kinda like the theory that if you put 100 monkeys in a room with typewriters and they will eventually write a book?...

Yes, I think they are trying to tell you that 30 hens could have done better. :biglaugh:

Oatmeal and unicorns together go to world in rainbows. But the spammer of this thread even foreign will be reported. :D

**goes to find some chickens**

Most reactions

Back