Safety while shooting in public

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This question is geared towards experienced photographers who have been shooting for a while.

Since I began my new hobby a few weeks ago, I've wondered how safe it is to just go out randomly in public with $1000 worth of equipment? Is it safe to go shoot downtown in the city, at night?

I mean I know common sense says don't go taking pictures in the ghetto at night, but I mean on average how do you all feel when you are in public with your equipment (alone of course).

It's all about attitude. If you act and look like a victim...you are more likely to be victimized.

It's all about attitude. If you act and look like a victim...you are more likely to be victimized.

...that really helped. :thumbdown:

That's easy for you to say, "BIG Mike" LOL

Hey, that's right...I am BIG Mike. So no...you wouldn't be safe....not with me on the loose. :twisted:

Just be aware of your surroundings. Bring mace if you're that un-comfortable. Scope out the area in the day, Know where the nearest Police sub-station etc. Don't flaunt your stuff, If you aren't using it. Then put it up.

Well anything can happen at any time and place. With that said you have to be aware of where you are and who is around you. I would have a plan in my head of what would I do if this or that happend. Don't hang around a bad spot for too long and give someone the time to or idea of a sickup. Keep gear out of site when possible. Bring a friend. Now I like to think I would fight if I think I can defend myself. I carry a pocket knife just in case. But you never know what you will do when and if the time comes. Just try and be smart and lucky.

Just be aware of your surroundings. Bring mace if you're that un-comfortable. Scope out the area in the day, Know where the nearest Police sub-station etc. Don't flaunt your stuff, If you aren't using it. Then put it up.

Yea I was thinking about mace..It's not that I'm super worried, or have had any bad experiences, it's just when i'm out in public with this expensive device, I feel vulnerable. Was just curious if anyone else felt this, or if it was something that faded over time. Again, i've had my camera two weeks only.

This question is geared towards experienced photographers who have been shooting for a while.

Since I began my new hobby a few weeks ago, I've wondered how safe it is to just go out randomly in public with $1000 worth of equipment? Is it safe to go shoot downtown in the city, at night?

I mean I know common sense says don't go taking pictures in the ghetto at night, but I mean on average how do you all feel when you are in public with your equipment (alone of course).

I think it depends on where you are. Some down town's are safer than others. I feel safer in Fort Worth than I do in Dallas but Mike is right it's all about attitude. One more thing, don't think of your camera as $1000 worth of equipment, you keep thinking that and you won't get any good pics. Think of it as a tool to be an artist you paint brush if you will.

I think it depends on where you are. Some down town's are safer than others. I feel safer in Fort Worth than I do in Dallas but Mike is right it's all about attitude. One more thing, don't think of your camera as $1000 worth of equipment, you keep thinking that and you won't get any good pics. Think of it as a tool to be an artist you paint brush if you will.

Thanks, this is good advice.

However I'm referring to my camera as a $1000 device in terms of people wanting to steal it in order to make money off it...Of course If I had a brush and a canvas out in public, I would not worry about someone robbing me for that. But I agree and I think your point is, don't expect your $1000 device to take good pictures for you...Goes along with the idea that it's not the camera that takes great photos, it's the photographer :)

Do you have home insurance? Your policy may cover your possessions, even when you are not in the house. If you know your gear is insured, it can give you a lot more piece of mind for when & where you use your camera.

Thanks, this is good advice.

However I'm referring to my camera as a $1000 device in terms of people wanting to steal it in order to make money off it...Of course If I had a brush and a canvas out in public, I would not worry about someone robbing me for that. But I agree and I think your point is, don't expect your $1000 device to take good pictures for you...Goes along with the idea that it's not the camera that takes great photos, it's the photographer :)

most people wont know that your camera cost $1000. i know i wouldent

Mace is illegal here in New York City. Just make sure you know what your good to carry where you live.

Sorry I did a double check and Mace and Pepper spray is legal if you buy it from a special authorized dealers only; such dealers should perform the background check on buyers; sales to felons are prohibited etc.
Rules
* No sale to minors under 18.
* No sale to anyone with felony convictions or assaults.
* Sale only through an authorized dealer, pharmacy or gun dealer.
* Sale after you complete a form with your name, address, birth date and signature.

Sorry for the little stray off topic but did not want to post wrong info. Point still is know what you can carry.

Last edited:
most people wont know that your camera cost $1000. i know i wouldent

Right I walked around the Mall with my Lowe Pro pack on and not one person asked if I was a photographer. Not many are going to know, and if they do then you shouldn't be worried.

It's no different than having a bag snatched or your wallet pick pocketed. Your vulnerable if you dont take precaution. Double wrap your neck strap around your wrist.

Most reactions

Back