Safety while shooting in public

Carry a knife and cut them. Ok on the real side keep an eye out if you see someone that looks shady be ready to defend yourself. Big Mike was right actually.

Thanks for your reply's everyone! Much light was shed on this subject, and i'm glad to hear from other people how they feel about it.

:thumbup:

Would it be possible to take someone with you? Maybe search out a fellow photographer who wants to shoot @ night. I agree with the statements above, watch your surrondings, dont expose your gear, etc.

Right I walked around the Mall with my Lowe Pro pack on and not one person asked if I was a photographer. Not many are going to know, and if they do then you shouldn't be worried.

Um.. there's a huge difference in someone with bad intentions seeing your backpack and seeing a shiny dslr with huge lens.

Personally, I try not to worry about it, but if i'm in a rough-ish neighborhood, I tend to keep my camera in my bag until I want to shoot something, and then I put it back in when i'm done. What Big Mike said about not looking like a victim may have got the thumbs down icon, but I think it's true.. to a point anyway.. i'm not really a big guy, but my coworker told me once that he saw me walking across the street and I looked like someone he wouldn't want to mess with.. and he is a big guy.. heh.. i don't get it, but ok.

Just don't go into places where you feel uneasy or nervous. Make sure the places you go are well populated...people wont normally try anything in well populated areas...of course there are always exceptions.

When in doubt, carry some heat! :lol: Only kidding...never a good idea!

Would it help if wore my black belt while I was out shooting???

LOL:lol:

Beat them with your camera! and choke them with your bag straps! make them think twice before they try to rob another camera. Yep! Id rather break my camera over there heads than watch them run away with it. I could just hear the thiefs doctor's now...."sir, now tell me again how this lens got stuck up your a**?

Um.. there's a huge difference in someone with bad intentions seeing your backpack and seeing a shiny dslr with huge lens.

Point taken but my point was that very few actually know how much our equipment actually costs.

Be selective on where you are going. there are places i avoid driving through with or without fancy things. I rarely drive through the north or east side, even though growing up i spent alot of time in the northside i know how the hoodlems are down there.

Don't bring a canon/nikon/etc labeled bag, instead just keep your camera in a back pack, don't flash your big fancy rings, turn up your sound system, etc. basically, don't draw attention to yourself. figure out where you're going, go there and move on. if you ask for directions, they're going to know you're not from around there.

I don't know if it's legal to carry mace in colorado/denver or not, but you buy yourself some aerosol bug spray, maybe the wasp one since it sprays more in a stream... though i don't know how well that works. i woudl assume it would burn the hell out of someone's eyes.

As I said, the east side and northside are probably the worst. East colfax, definitely would not go during the night or even during the day bring someone with you.

I've been wanting to go to some of the city parks and downtown to get some shots, if you ever want to "buddy" up, let me know. :)

What does being in the "ghetto" have anything to do with anything? As if no one gets burglarized or assaulted in "suburbia." I've had my camera with me more often than not while in "the ghetto", at night. Aside from folks wondering what I'm doing or if I'm with the police, I've never had a problem.

As MIKE said if you look like a victim you'll get jacked.

I grew up in Detroit and for me everywhere else I have shot is kind of tame to me. The acting like a vicitm thing is true as hell. Im not a big guy but nobody tends to mess with me either. Presenting yourslef in a dont mess with me manner works about 80% of the time. The other 20% be prepared and, ready for it. PepperSpray is good and, so are Tasers if you are allowed to carry them. Being in Az I have a sidearm with a concealed permit. If a place looks bad or feels bad go with that because, many times your gut is right.

Right I walked around the Mall with my Lowe Pro pack on and not one person asked if I was a photographer. Not many are going to know, and if they do then you shouldn't be worried.

also a mall, and a city street (or any street for that matter) are two very different atmospheres

Get a concealed carry permit, and pack a .45
If you get attacked. Shoot em....both ways.

I almost always shoot in situations like that w/ my dad, who has a concealed carry, but you also have to be conscientious.

I still didn't use my 70-200 as a weapon yet. lol. Its pretty damn heavy and im guessing it will hurt when you hit someone with it. Just make sure you are holding by the lens and not the body since you can mess up your mount lol. BTW did anybody ever use their camera as a weapon?

Most reactions

Back