Safety while shooting in public

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DScience, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What does being in the "ghetto" have anything to do with anything? As if no one gets burglarized or assaulted in "suburbia." I've had my camera with me more often than not while in "the ghetto", at night. Aside from folks wondering what I'm doing or if I'm with the police, I've never had a problem.

As MIKE said if you look like a victim you'll get jacked.

2. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I grew up in Detroit and for me everywhere else I have shot is kind of tame to me. The acting like a vicitm thing is true as hell. Im not a big guy but nobody tends to mess with me either. Presenting yourslef in a dont mess with me manner works about 80% of the time. The other 20% be prepared and, ready for it. PepperSpray is good and, so are Tasers if you are allowed to carry them. Being in Az I have a sidearm with a concealed permit. If a place looks bad or feels bad go with that because, many times your gut is right.

3. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    also a mall, and a city street (or any street for that matter) are two very different atmospheres

4. bdavison

bdavison TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a concealed carry permit, and pack a .45
    If you get attacked. Shoot em....both ways.

5. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I almost always shoot in situations like that w/ my dad, who has a concealed carry, but you also have to be conscientious.

6. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I still didn't use my 70-200 as a weapon yet. lol. Its pretty damn heavy and im guessing it will hurt when you hit someone with it. Just make sure you are holding by the lens and not the body since you can mess up your mount lol. BTW did anybody ever use their camera as a weapon?

7. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was a police officer for thirty years. When I retired, I sold my guns.

A. What something costs is immaterial. What matters to a crook is what he can get for it and how easy it is to get rid of. Cameras aren't high on their list. Cash is number one on their list with credit cards number two. Cellphones are easy to get rid of as are laptop computers.

B. When I'm going out late, I try and find a friend to take pictures with me. I usually can't, so I go, mind my own business, and move quite a bit. Late at night, I usually have my tripod with me.

I am more concerned with drunks. Normal people can be irrational and violent nitwits when drunk.

8. LisaMarie

LisaMarie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pepper spray is a good idea, i have actually been considering gettng some since most of the time i do my photographing alone, i also suggest if you have a dog to bring them (if they are well enough behaved though of course) i bring my dog when i go into the country alone, and it helps me feel more secure from other people, and wildlife. As for the downtowns and what not, try to bring a friend, otherwise, keep your equipment out of sight! :)

9. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I have my concealed carry license. :) It keeps me very safe.