What's new

Sail Boat

3bayjunkie

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
576
Reaction score
12
Location
United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at the lake the other day and snapped this one off.

:: Canon EOS 1v :: 50mm f/8 :: Fujicolor Pro 400H ::

$sailboat01.webp
 
The sailboat and its refection are the focal point of your picture, while the sky is basically a boring cloudless blue. So I would have used the 1/3 rule, and decreased the sky while increasing the sailboat with a crop. It still would have left some beach to balance out your composition. Also you have a major tilt issue, high left and low right.
 
+1 on Joel's comments!
 
Here's a quick edit to show you what I mean. I also darkened the sky but tried to create some cloud effect for visual interest.

$sailboat01.webp
 
I don't do much out of camera editing. mostly just change the levels if needed. I like to do my cropping in camera. But since i was using a 50mm prime lens i couldn't zoom in and i had to run half way around the lake to get this shot!
 
When you don't have the "fire power" with you, then you need to edit to get the desired results.
 
Had there been some cloud in the sky to add some drama, then it would have been perfectly framed as it is in the lower left third. I agree with Joel's edit bearing in mind the conditions.
 
Ok i think you are right about the clouds. And i need to work on making my horizons more level on the fly
 
Joel editing version looks great with the effect on the clouds and cropped some areas. the composition is better with the sail larger than before. from a good picture to a better one. I'm still learning to edit picture.
 
I was at the lake the other day and snapped this one off.

I'm afraid it looks like you just "snapped this one off."

I agree with Joel_W's C&C and suggestions for improvement. The sail's reflection on the water is quite nice.
 
nice reflection
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom