Saint Louis Blue (Newbie - suggestions appreciated).

Jetmugg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the second photo I've posted here, and I'd appreciate a constructive critique....

Taken with my D40 and 18-55 Lens, just about sunset. I didn't record the settings, but I believe I was shooting in Aperture priority, letting the camera figure out the shutter speed, and ISO setting at 400 (if I remember correctly). Sorry for the poor details.

I'm just starting to mess around with Photoshop Elements for organizing and editing.

To my eye, the statue of St Louis looks pretty good. I was focused on the main body of the horse in the sculpture. I realize the museum in the background isn't clearly focused. I was shooting hand-held, but was braced against a concrete wall.

I'm trying to get better at photography -again, any help would be appreciated.

Saint Louis Blue by Jetmugg, on Flickr

Not bad, maybe a little more DOF and a tripod would help to get everything in focus. Im not sure about your tight crop.. Keep shooting and take notes of the results.

Thank you. I cropped a light pole out of the right hand side, and removed a lot of blue sky above. I'll post the original, and would be thrilled to see how the composition could be improved.

I agree about the DOF and tripod use. This was shot during a family sled-riding trip, not a dedicated photo adventure. Just trying to get myself on the path to improvement.

Here's the original - I "misremembered" the light pole, that was a different shot....

DSC_2743 by Jetmugg, on Flickr

Only way to learn is shoot a lot, take notes so that you will know what results you get with different camera settings, and ask lots of questions... Everyone was a beginner at one point.

Sometimes you might want to single out a single element

Don't forget that you can check the EXIF data if you can't remember your settings. I can't see any difference between the two images.

I'd rather see his face than his side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back