Salt water humidity

Scarecrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zacks.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I'm in the navy and getting ready to deploy on my Carrier within the next week. I have a locker that is open to the sea and salty air. Should I keep my gear in tuper ware or would it be ok to stay in my locker?

Do you normally find salt deposits on the interior of your locker? If you don't, it should be fine in there. You could always just throw it in a plastic bag. Might be easier to store than a tupperware.

Nope have not seen any residue in the lockers, but the steel chains that we use for our hoist do rust I guess I was just being over cautious.

Don't worry about it; I've been taking cameras to sea for almost 25 years. If you have it outside the superstructure, on the FD, in the hangar etc, and there's spray in the air, wipe everything down with a soft, lint-free cloth slightly dampened with clean, fresh water when you're done. Of far more concern is protecting against movement. Even on something as large as one of those floating bird-farms, a hard turn can cause things to shift; make sure your gear is well padded. If at all possible, get something like a Pelican case - that will solve all your problems.

The corrosion you see due to salt is because its dissolved in the air and not so much due to direct sea spray. so even if you put it into a container, unless you suck it to a vacuum it wont do much good unless its being splashed.
I wouldnt worry too much about it though because its not going to be much worse than keeping a camera at a beach house, and no one thinks twice about that. Just dont change lenses on deck when catching spray.

thanks fuzz I normally change lenses in my office before going into the shop. should be interesting to see what I get on this cruise now that I have the 300mmL f/4 IS. Hope I get a decent shot of a sonic boom.

Most reactions

Back