Salutations!

hyperjoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just popping in to say hi.

A bit about me... I'm a 23 year old software engineer by day, a musician/would-be photographer by night. I hate my day job and have been doing every artful thing I can think of outside of work in order to remain sane....

I am recently engaged to be married, my fiance' and I live in an artists' community in downtown Portland, OR. We will be moving into a gallery on street level this fall where she will show her paintings and illustration and I will show photography and board art (surfboards, snowboards, etc).

I recently adopted a Nikon N80 after years of not taking pictures (it was a hobby in high school) and I've been *really* enjoying it, even to the point of considering going back to school for a degree. I'm doing what I can to allow myself to eventually quit my day job and make a living via artistic means, so if anyone has any suggestions on doing so, I'm all ears. Down with Corporate America! :twisted:

oriecat said:
Hello fellow Portlander, welcome to the board! :D Do you live at the Everett Lofts? Good luck with the gallery thing!!
Everett Station Lofts, indeed! You are familiar with the area? I'm up on the 3rd floor right now, but word on the street is that October will be the last month for Soundvision gallery, so we are hoping to sneak in there in November. :)

I'm not too familiar with that area, but I had a fleeting thought of moving downtown to the Pearl, so I was looking online at many of the different loft buildings and saw that the Everett one was an artist community. That's all I know... except that I can't afford to live in the Pearl. :cry:

How do you like living there? As a single female, I don't think I would be comfortable living that close to Old Town.

oriecat said:
I'm not too familiar with that area, but I had a fleeting thought of moving downtown to the Pearl, so I was looking online at many of the different loft buildings and saw that the Everett one was an artist community. That's all I know... except that I can't afford to live in the Pearl. :cry:

How do you like living there? As a single female, I don't think I would be comfortable living that close to Old Town.
ahhh, I see, I see.

Kim (my fiance) and I love being here. We were in Beavertron for a long time, and unfortunately I still have to work out there... But downtown is fabulous. So much opportunity for things that we missed out on when we were in Beaverton.

As far as being a single female, I wouldn't worry about it tooo much. Of course, that might be a bit hypocritical of me, since I won't let Kim leave our space alone after dark. hahaha....

Sure, there's a fair share of creeps around here, but as far as the Everett Lofts goes, we've got a REALLY tight community here.... I've given neighbors w/out cars a ride to the store, we all look out for eachother, etc. It's groovy.

hi

down with corporate america!!!!! :salute:

(although my hubby refuses to admit he's a yuppie :p )

oriecat said:
Just curious... since it is made to be an artist community, do any of the lofts have built in darkrooms, or is there a community darkroom there? :)
Unfortunately the answer to those questions is no and no. There are a few photographers in the building, but most of the people there are painters, illustrators, designers, or sculptors... We currently live in a large 1400 sq. foot loft with two bathrooms... I was thinking about converting our downstairs (larger) bathroom into a darkroom, but I don't think it would be very practical since we're hoping to move into a much smaller gallery space soon... ::sigh::

Most reactions

Back