What's new

Salvador Dali's Martini - Thanks Derrel!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
45,715
Reaction score
14,785
Location
Victoria, BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While the composition isn't quite there (and I know the lemon needs work), thanks to Derrel's suggestion of overhead lighting, I'm much closer to the final image I have in mind then I was before. I tried lighting from below, but it didn't quite give me the look I was after.

DSC_9299_Small.jpg
 
My I suggest the dark field lighting technique? I think it is exactly what you are looking for.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #4
That is dark-field lighting; black construction-paper flag on a 48" diffuser panel, with a speedlight behind.
 
I use large pieces of white foam to bounce flash
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #8
That is dark-field lighting; black construction-paper flag on a 48" diffuser panel, with a speedlight behind.

But you're lighting it directly?
No; primary lighting is pretty much exactly as shown here, but in an earlier post, Derrel had suggested I add some bounced overhead light to help illuminate the fruit, which I think worked well.
 
Can hardly wait for the burning giraffe. kidding aside, great shot. love the color. later Ed
 
Hi John,

Not sure what editing you did to your original image but this is a further quickie in Elements 9.

Enhance > Adjust lighting > Levels. Set the white point on the white reflection on the top right side of the stem.

Enhance > Adjust lighting > Shadows/Highlights. Already forgotten which numbers I used :)

Lemonsideby_zpse515ea3a.jpg


Cheers, Don
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
Can hardly wait for the burning giraffe. kidding aside, great shot. love the color. later Ed
Thanks!

Crossing Over To The Dark (Field) Has Never Been Easier | DIYPhotography.net
Saved for future refernence
Really nice shot to the OP. Love the lighting
Thanks!
The black looks fake. It looks like you increased the black or the contrast significantly. Does not look crisp at all. Something is really wrong.
Ouch! Busted! Yep, the black is fake; at least to some extent. Because I was shooting outside (after 4-500 exposures there's club soda and maraschino cherries everywhere, much easier to clean up) things were a little brighter than I would have liked, and in a couple of spots there were 'wet' marks visible on the construction paper flags, so I took the easy way out.

Hi John,
Not sure what editing you did to your original image but this is a further quickie in Elements 9.
Enhance > Adjust lighting > Levels. Set the white point on the white reflection on the top right side of the stem.
Enhance > Adjust lighting > Shadows/Highlights. Already forgotten which numbers I used
Thanks Don, that looks good. Beyond a quick straighten and crop, nothing so far. I'm going to sit down this afternoon and go through the 15-20 keepers from yesterday and see if any are really worth processing all the way.
 
I played with it also.. my take is similar to Don's!

$DS.webp
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
Round two:

Dalhi.jpg


Oh, and could someone PLEASE explain why I'm putting so much effort into this????? :scratch:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom