Salvador Dali's Martini - Thanks Derrel!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While the composition isn't quite there (and I know the lemon needs work), thanks to Derrel's suggestion of overhead lighting, I'm much closer to the final image I have in mind then I was before. I tried lighting from below, but it didn't quite give me the look I was after.

DSC_9299_Small.jpg

My I suggest the dark field lighting technique? I think it is exactly what you are looking for.

That is dark-field lighting; black construction-paper flag on a 48" diffuser panel, with a speedlight behind.

I use large pieces of white foam to bounce flash

That is dark-field lighting; black construction-paper flag on a 48" diffuser panel, with a speedlight behind.

But you're lighting it directly?
No; primary lighting is pretty much exactly as shown here, but in an earlier post, Derrel had suggested I add some bounced overhead light to help illuminate the fruit, which I think worked well.

Can hardly wait for the burning giraffe. kidding aside, great shot. love the color. later Ed

Hi John,

Not sure what editing you did to your original image but this is a further quickie in Elements 9.

Enhance > Adjust lighting > Levels. Set the white point on the white reflection on the top right side of the stem.

Enhance > Adjust lighting > Shadows/Highlights. Already forgotten which numbers I used :)

Lemonsideby_zpse515ea3a.jpg

Cheers, Don

Can hardly wait for the burning giraffe. kidding aside, great shot. love the color. later Ed
Thanks!

Crossing Over To The Dark (Field) Has Never Been Easier | DIYPhotography.net
Saved for future refernence
Really nice shot to the OP. Love the lighting
Thanks!
The black looks fake. It looks like you increased the black or the contrast significantly. Does not look crisp at all. Something is really wrong.
Ouch! Busted! Yep, the black is fake; at least to some extent. Because I was shooting outside (after 4-500 exposures there's club soda and maraschino cherries everywhere, much easier to clean up) things were a little brighter than I would have liked, and in a couple of spots there were 'wet' marks visible on the construction paper flags, so I took the easy way out.

Hi John,
Not sure what editing you did to your original image but this is a further quickie in Elements 9.
Enhance > Adjust lighting > Levels. Set the white point on the white reflection on the top right side of the stem.
Enhance > Adjust lighting > Shadows/Highlights. Already forgotten which numbers I used
Thanks Don, that looks good. Beyond a quick straighten and crop, nothing so far. I'm going to sit down this afternoon and go through the 15-20 keepers from yesterday and see if any are really worth processing all the way.

I played with it also.. my take is similar to Don's!

$DS.jpg

Most reactions

Back