salvageable?

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is one of my first shots from 1978 with my minolta srt-100 :) i found the negative tonight in a drawer and immediately scanned it. i was saddened when i saw the result..i misplaced it years ago, hence the scratches and all. is there a way to repair the negative or a print? i always liked this shot.

i also found a bunch of IR color slides that i haven't scanned yet. hope they turn out better than this.

OTE

39919285-O.jpg

I would think it would take some cloning work...but doesn't look terribly hard...just time consuming, but I bet it can be salvaged...

Well, the answer's been given already by Raymond! Great work. To be said about both of you...

... so you undug your photos taken ages ago? I should start digging some, too. I know there's a box of slides taken by me with my Rollei35 (that was the first "real" camera I ever had and I got it in 1973, I would think, when I was 13) in 1975 in the course of a five-day-school excursion. Some photos are surprisingly ok, if I remember right ...

wow, thanks Raymond. maybe i could send you the large file? ;)

Something to try out. Sounds gross but I swear it works.... an old darkroom trick for scratched negs is to wipe the side of your nose with your finger and smear the skin oil on the emulsion side of the neg. Just wipe evenly then print. Not sure how it works when you scan things but it worked on all but the worst scratches when I printed either in a darkroom or with a machine. It might save you a bit of PS time and it's free thanks to mother nature. :lol: Oh.... by the way. Make sure you clean the neg afterwards. You don't want to leave your skin oils on it.

If you print this in the traditional manner, and nose grease doesn't work, the scratches, dust, etc... can be spotted out of the print.

photogoddess said:
Sounds gross but I swear it works.... an old darkroom trick for scratched negs is to wipe the side of your nose with your finger and smear the skin oil on the emulsion side of the neg.

This also works well for scratched CDs and DVDs. :)

Julie

How much skin oil do people have?! Enough to cover a DVD?!

Yeah, JonMikal it's actualy easier to do cloning on the big files.

Daniel - it's just a tiny negative. I've never tried it on a CD/DVD but you'd be amazed at how much nose grease you have at the end of the day. :lol:

Hehe. You don't need enough to cover the entire DVD, just where the scratches are. But I guess if there's lots of scratches...

Julie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back