What's new

Same DOF with different lenses?

UjaiDidida

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it possible to get the same depth of field with different lens? Let say If I want to get as shallow DOF as a 50mm can do at f1.8, but I only have a 24-105mm f4, so I zoom in to 105mm @ f4, will the DOF be the same like the 50mm @ f1.8? There might be a perspective compression difference but is the DOF can be calculated so that we know that we can have the same out of focus or the same size of bokeh in the frame using different lenses? I'm a amateur so any helps really appreciated, thank you :)
 
You certainly can, but as you mention, there will be perspective compression, as well as different field of view. You can easily calculate all of that by using an on-line tool such as this one, or installing an application on your smart 'phone.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom